Paetongtarn still most popular choice for PM: poll
Paetongtarn "Ung Ing" Shinawatra of the Pheu Thai Party is still the most popular choice for prime minister, according to a poll - although the largest percentage of people selected the answer choice 'none'.
The youngest daughter of former prime minister Thaksin was followed by Pita Limjaroenrat of the Move Forward Party, who was marginally ahead of Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha.
The third opinion survey on the political figures most suitable to be the next prime minister was carried out on Sept 15-21 by telephone interviews with 2,500 people aged 18 and over of various levels of education, occupations and incomes throughout the country.
Asked who would be their choice for prime minister today, the answers varied as follows:
• 24.16% said nobody was suitable for the post;
• 21.60% chose Ms Paetongtarn, head of the Pheu Thai family;
• 10.56% supported Mr Pita, leader of the Move Forward Party;
• 10.12% were for Gen Prayut Chan-ocha, believing he was an honest and straightforward person;
• 9.12% chose Khunying Sudarat Keyuraphan, leader of the Thai Sang Thai Party;
• 6.28% suppported Pol Gen Sereepisuth Temeeyaves, leader of the Seri Ruam Thai Party;
Anutin Charnvirakul, leader of the Bhumjaithai Party, Chadchart Sittipunt, the current Bangkok governor, and others received less than 3% each.
Asked about the political party of their choice today, 34.44% named the Pheu Thai Party.
Learn from listening
- choice (noun): something that you can choose; an act of choosing between two or more possibilities - ทางเลือก, การเลือก
- governor: a person who is chosen to be in charge of the government of a state or province or a government agency - ผู้ว่าการรัฐ, ผู้ว่าราชการจังหวัด
- marginally: by a small amount - เล็กและไม่สำคัญ, เล็กน้อย
- poll: an occasion when a lot of people are asked about what they feel about something - การสำรวจความคิดเห็น
- post: a job/position in a company or organisation - ตำแหน่งการงาน
- straightforward: clear and honest - ตรงไปตรงมา
- suitable: acceptable or right for someone or something - เหมาะสม
- survey: the act of asking for and recording information - การสำรวจ, การหาข้อมูล