4,000 evacuated as storm Noru hits
Over 4,000 people in Ubon Ratchathani have been evacuated after recent flooding was set to intensify as Typhoon Noru hit northeastern Thailand on Wednesday night.
Noru reached Salavan province in Laos as a tropical storm in the afternoon. It was forecast to cover the lower part of the Northeast over Ubon Ratchathani's Khong Chiam district by Wednesday evening.
The storm would gradually downgrade to a depression and a strong low-pressure system. It will bring heavy rain and strong winds to all regions.
Flash floods and runoff are possible, the Meteorological Department said.
At least 12 provinces, mostly in the northern and northeastern regions, were already experiencing flooding caused by downpours that have pounded the country since last week.
The Northeast's Mun River burst its banks, flooding villages and farmland in 14 districts, and forcing the evacuation of some 4,169 residents to high ground and temporary shelter centres. More than 99,000 rai of farmland was damaged.
Ubon Ratchathani airport was hit by heavy rain and strong winds on Wednesday, making it impossible for aircraft to land. A Nok Air flight departing from Don Mueang airport had to circle around Ubon Ratchathani airport three times and was eventually forced to fly back to Don Mueang.
Learn from listening
- burst its banks (of a river): to flood; to have water go over the sides - ล้นตลิ่ง
- depression: an area where the air pressure is low, often causing heavy rain - พายุดีเปรสชัน
- downgrade: to reduce someone or something to a lower rank or position, to reduce the strength of something - ลดความสำคัญ, ลดความรุนแรง
- downpour: a lot of rain in a short time - ฝนตกหนักมาก, พายุฝน
- evacuate: to cause to leave a place because it is not safe - เคลื่อนย้ายออกจาก
- evacuation: moving people from a place of danger to a safer place - การอพยพ
- flash floods (noun): floods that happen suddenly without warning - น้ำที่เกิดท่วมในที่ต่ำโดยฉับพลันทันทีและไหลลดลงอย่างรวดเร็ว
- pound: to hit something hard many times, especially in a way that makes a lot of noise - ตำ
- runoff: rainfall that cannot be taken in by the soil and which flows into rivers, lakes or the sea - น้ำหลาก, ปริมาณของเหลวที่ไหลออก
- tropical storm (noun): the first level of dangerous storm: "A tropical storm is an organized system of strong thunderstorms with a defined surface circulation and maximum sustained winds between 34 knots (39 mph) and 64 knots (74 mph). (Source: Wikipedia) - พายุโซนร้อน, พายุดีเปรสชันที่มีกำลังแรงขึ้น เกิดขึ้นในเขตร้อน ความเร็วลมบริเวณใกล้ศูนย์กลางประมาณ 70-120 กิโลเมตรต่อชั่วโมง [พจนานุกรมศัพท์ สสวท.]