Cold season to arrive in late October
This year's cold season is expected to begin in the fourth week of October and last until late February with temperatures in the Bangkok area likely to drop as low as 15°C.
The Meteorological Department said the arrival of the cold weather would be about a week later than usual.
The average minimum temperatures in Upper Thailand would be 20-21°C. The weather would be generally colder than last year, when the average minimum temperature was 21.0°C.
The lowest temperatures, 8-9°C, were expected in the North and Northeast regions. In Bangkok, the lowest temperatures would be 17-18°C and 15-16°C in its vicinity.
The coldest time would be December and January and mountain tops would range from cold (8.0-15.9°C) to very cold (below 8.0°C) with some frosts.
In the South, the weather would be cool (16.0-22.9°C) some days, mostly in the upper part of the region. There would be widespread rain, especially on the east coast, in November and December, with occasional heavy rain in some areas.
Also in November and December, there may be tropical storms over the Gulf of Thailand and South Thailand, bringing widespread rain and wind-waves of 3-4m high, the weather office said.
Learn from listening
- average: an amount calculated by adding several amounts together, finding a total, and dividing the total by the number of amounts - เฉลี่ย, ค่าเฉลี่ย
- frost (noun): a weather condition in which the temperature drops below 0°C (= freezing point ) so that a thin white layer of ice forms on the ground and other surfaces, especially at night - น้ำค้างแข็ง, แม่คะนิ้ง (ภาษาถิ่นทางภาคเหนือ)
- Meteorological Department: the government department in charge of determining what the weather will be in the future - กรมอุตุนิยมวิทยา
- minimum: the lowest possible; the lowest allowed - ต่ำที่สุด, น้อยที่สุด
- tropical storm (noun): the first level of dangerous storm: "A tropical storm is an organized system of strong thunderstorms with a defined surface circulation and maximum sustained winds between 34 knots (39 mph) and 64 knots (74 mph). (Source: Wikipedia) - พายุโซนร้อน, พายุดีเปรสชันที่มีกำลังแรงขึ้น เกิดขึ้นในเขตร้อน ความเร็วลมบริเวณใกล้ศูนย์กลางประมาณ 70-120 กิโลเมตรต่อชั่วโมง [พจนานุกรมศัพท์ สสวท.]
- vicinity: an area near a particular place - บริเวณใกลเคียง
- widespread: happening or existing in many places, or affecting many people - อย่างแพร่หลาย