Luxury homes raided in triad probe
published : 30 Nov 2022 at 07:14
writer: R May
ORIGINAL SOURCE/WRITER: Wassayos Ngamkham
Police raided 11 locations across Greater Bangkok on Tuesday, including a luxury housing project with suspected links to a Chinese crime gang under investigation, according to a police source.
The operation was carried out as officers expanded their probe into the criminal network believed to be tied to Chinese businessman Chaiyanat "Tuhao" Kornchayanant, who turned himself in last week after Bangkok South Criminal Court issued an arrest warrant over his alleged involvement in the drug trade.
Police searched three of the 50 houses in the project, which are owned by a suspected nominee of the drug syndicate, the source said, noting officers seized for inspection a Toyota Alphard and three safes.
The housing project, in the Lasalle area of Samut Prakan, consists of 66 units with each costing between 35-60 million baht, the source said.
Citing accounts by witnesses at the project, the source said Chinese tourists were frequently seen being taken to these houses at night for parties, which often caused loud noises and disturbed the neighbours.
Police also raided a luxury condominium worth more than 100 million baht in the Charoen Nakhon area of Bangkok, where they seized a Porsche 911, two G-Class Mercedes Benz off-roaders, and one Toyota Alphard, said the source.
Authorities believe the triad group used a Thai nominee to purchase the homes in Samut Prakan as well as a number of luxury apartments in Bangkok, the source said.
- alleged: claimed to be true although not yet proven; claimed to have done something wrong but not yet proven - ที่ถูกกล่าวหา
- arrest warrant: a document signed by a judge allowing police to arrest someone - หมายจับ
- condominium (noun): an apartment building or group of houses in which each flat/apartment/house is owned by the person living in it but the shared areas are owned by everyone together - คอนโดมิเนียม
- housing project: housing estate; residential estate; an area containing a large number of houses or apartments built close together at the same time - บ้านจัดสรร
- network: a large system of connected parts, organisations, people, etc. - เครือข่าย
- nominee: a legal arrangement whereby investments are held by a a person or company on behalf of the real owner - ผู้รับถือหุ้นให้บุคคลอื่นที่ไม่ต้องการจะเปิดเผยตัวตน
- operation: a planned activity involving a lot of people, especially soldiers or police officers - การปฏิบัติการ
- probe: to investigate; to attempt to find out the truth about something; to examine - ตรวจสอบ
- seized: taken away by force or official power - ถูกยึกครอง
- triad: a secret Chinese organisation involved in illegal activities such as selling drugs -
- unit: one office or building or group of people - หนึ่งหน่วย