Aed Carabao accused of land grab
Corruption buster Veera Somkwamkid on Tuesday filed a complaint with police against musician Yuenyong Opakul, aka Aed Carabao, accusing him of encroaching on a public forest in Saraburi province.
Mr Veera, secretary-general of the People's Network Against Corruption, together with officials from the Office of Public Sector Anti-Corruption Commission (PACC), also handed in what they said was evidence to Hin Son police in Kaeng Khoi district.
Mr Veera also filed another complaint with the police against authorities of the Royal Forest Department (RFD) for malfeasance.
He said that the PACC had found that Mr Yuenyong has ownership rights over a 35-rai plot of land located in the Tab Kwang and Muak Lek Forest Reserve, which he had acquired 21 years ago.
Mr Veera speculated that authorities from the RFD had unlawfully granted ownership rights to Mr Yuenyong.
He further added that the land was used by adventure tour companies.
According to an unofficial survey, authorities found that dynamite had been used on the mountain during the construction of a 500-metre road.
A source representing Mr Yuenyong said that the musician says he is innocent and that the claims are false.
He is prepared for further legal proceedings, the source said.
- acquisition: the process of buying something; something that has been bought - การซื้อ, การได้มาซึ่งการเข้าถือสิทธิ์
- adventure: an unusual, exciting and possibly dangerous activity such as a journey or experience, or the excitement produced by such an activity - การผจญภัย
- aka: .... Also Known As .... , .... AKA.... -
- corruption (n): dishonest or illegal behaviour, especially of people in authority -
- encroachment: gradually entering and taking control over an area of land - การบุกรุก
- grant: to officially give something - ให้
- malfeasance: illegal actions, especially by a person in authority - การใช้อำนาจไปในทางที่ผิด
- plot (noun): a piece of land used for a particular purpose - ที่ดิน, ที่ดินแปลงเล็ก
- proceedings: the actions taken, usually in court, to settle a legal matter - การดำเนินการ
- secretary-general (noun): the person who is in charge of the department that deals with the running of a large international or political organisation - เลขาธิการ, เลขาธิการใหญ่