Truck fire blocks tunnel
published : 2 Dec 2022 at 14:19
writer: Gary Boyle
ORIGINAL SOURCE/WRITER: Online Reporters
A truck loaded with car tyres caught fire in a tunnel in Prachin Buri late on Thursday night, and the north-bound road was still closed to traffic on Friday.
The blaze began in the tunnel between Khao Yai and Thap Lan national parks in Na Di district of Prachin Buri about 11.35pm and was initially thought to have been put out, but the fire started again on Friday morning.
The truck was destroyed.
Fire trucks and crews sent to the scene saw thick smoke coming from the tunnel. The front section of the truck was on fire. Firefighters took more than one hour to bring it under control.
According to the driver, the fire started without warning while it was inside the tunnel. He tried to continue to the end of the tunnel, but had to abandon the burning vehicle.
After the flames were extinguished, the truck was later towed out of the tunnel for investigation and left near the entrance.
Around 10.30am on Friday, the fire suddenly erupted again, this time in the cargo container. Firemen were again battling the flames.
- abandon: to leave someone/something - ปล่อยทิ้งไว้
- blaze: a fire - เพลิง
- container: something used for storing or holding things - หีบบรรจุ
- destroy (verb): to damage something so badly that it no longer exists, works, etc - ทำลาย
- extinguish: to destroy or get rid of something - ดับ, ทำให้หมดไป
- firefighter: a person who puts out fires as their job - นักดับเพลิง
- initially: at first - ในเบื้องต้น
- smoke: dirty air that comes from burning or factory pollution, for example - ควัน
- tunnel: an underground passage through which vehicles travel - อุโมงค์
- tyre (noun): (American: "tire") a thick rubber ring that fits around the edge of a wheel of a car, bicycle, etc. - ยางรถ