Man wanted for murder in Russia arrested in Pattaya
A Russia native wanted there in a murder case has been arrested by immigration police at the request of the Russian embassy in Thailand, the Immigration Police Bureau revealed on Sunday.
The deputy commissioner of the bureau, Pol Maj Gen Panthana Nuchanart, said the Russian embassy earlier sent a request to the Foreign Ministry, seeking help from Thai police to arrest the 51-year-old man, identified by police as Igor Guzhin, and extradite him to Russia.
A Russian court in Samara issued a warrant in October 2019 for the arrest of the man on the charge of arranging for the murder of a person. If found guilty of such a contract hit, he could be sentenced to eight to 20 years in jail, life imprisonment or death.
As part of their investigations, immigration police learned the Russia native entered Thailand on Dec 2, 2019 and had been living at Moo 12 village in tambon Nong Prue in Chon Buri's Bang Lamung district.
Possessing a warrant issued by the Criminal Court, they arrested the man at Jomtien beach in Pattaya on Saturday.
The Russian has been handed over to the Office of Attorney General, pending legal procedures for extradition.
- arrange: to plan or organize something in advance - จัดเตรียม, เตรียมการ
- bureau: a government organisation - สำนักงาน
- charge : an official statement accusing someone of committing a crime - ข้อกล่าวหา
- contract hit: paying someone to kill someone for you -
- extradite: to officially send back someone who has been accused or found guilty of a crime to the country where the crime was committed for a trial - ส่งตัวกลับ
- issue: to give or provide something official - แจกจ่าย
- native: connected with the place where you were born and lived for the first years of your life - แต่กำเนิด,โดยกำเนิด, พื้นเมือง
- pending: waiting to be dealt with, settled or completed - ยังค้างอยู่, ซึ่งยังไม่จบสิ้น, อยู่ในระหว่าง
- possess: to have or own something - ครอบครอง, ถือครอง
- request: an act of asking for something in a formal or polite way - การขอร้อง
- warrant (noun): a legal document that is signed by a judge and gives the police authority to do something - หมาย