E-tickets for traffic violations in use since May
Police started issuing e-tickets for traffic violations in May this year using an electronic database system, the Royal Thai Police said on the Facebook page of the police information office.
The clarification posted by Royal Thai Police spokesperson Pol Maj Gen Achayon Kraithong came after Dr Thiravat Hemachudha, a well-known neurologist and professor at the Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, posted on his Facebook page a photocopy of an e-ticket with a message: "On seeing a ticket like this pasted on your car window, absolutely don't scan it. It's a fake."
Pol Maj Gen Achayon said he had checked and found it was a real e-ticket, issued by Bang Yi Khan police.
He went on to explain that the Royal Thai Police has since May this year issued e-tickets for traffic violations, using portable computers loaded with the Police Ticket Management (PTM) application.
With a portable computer, a traffic police officer can print out an e-ticket on seeing traffic law violations such as not wearing a safety helmet, using a mobile phone while driving and ignoring traffic signs.
An e-ticket contains information on the charge, the amount of the fine, the date and time of the traffic violation, the location, the vehicle's registration, the violator's driving licence, the name of the police officer who issues the ticket and his work unit.
There are currently three types of traffic tickets: 1) a hand-written ticket, 2) a ticket sent by mail after the violation was captured by a device and 3) an e-ticket.
- capture: to film/record/paint, etc. somebody/something - เก็บภาพ, จับภาพ
- clarification (noun): explaining something more clearly so that it is easier to understand - การทำให้กระจ่าง, การอธิบาย
- ignoring: deliberately failing to pay attention to - เพิกเฉย เอาหูไปนาเอาตาไปไร่
- mail (noun): letters, packages, etc. that are sent and delivered - ของที่ส่งทางไปรษณีย์, จดหมาย
- neurologist: (n) a doctor who studies and treats diseases of the nerves -
- professor: a university teacher of the highest rank - ศาสตราจารย์
- QR code (n): a machine-readable code consisting of an array of black and white squares, typically used for storing information for reading by the camera on a smartphone -
- traffic violation (noun): when someone breaks the law while driving a car or truck, such as speeding, not stopping at a red light or at a stopsign or driving dangerously...etc - การฝ่าฝืนกฎจราจร
- vehicle: a machine that you travel in or on, especially one with an engine that travels on roads, e.g., a car, bus, van, truck, etc. - ยานพาหนะ
- well-known (adj.): famous, everyone knows about it - ซึ่งมีชื่อเสียง, ซึ่งเป็นที่รู้จักกันดี, เป็นที่รู้จัก, เลื่องลือ