Later nightspot closing times to be decided
A proposal to allow pubs, bars and other entertainment venues to stay open later in selected tourism areas will be decided on by the cabinet today.
Tourism and Sports Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn said on Monday he will seek the green light in the weekly cabinet meeting on Tuesday to allow nightspots in some areas to change their closing time from 2am to 4am.
The minister wants to boost spending from tourists and said 2am closing was a party pooper for visitors enjoying the country's nightlife.
The proposal was expected to be considered in a cabinet meeting last month but the minister deferred the move for unknown reasons.
Areas where nightspots could enjoy extended operating hours are:
- Bangkok: Khao San Road
- Hua Hin
- Koh Samui
- Krabi: Ao Nang
- Phangnga: Khao Lak
- Phuket: Patong
Learn from listening
- boost: to increase - เพิ่ม
- cabinet: the group of government ministers who make and approve government policy - คณะรัฐมนตรี
- campaigner: a person who takes part in organized activities which are intended to change something in society - ผู้ต่อสู้,ผู้รณรงค์,ผู้โฆษณาเผยแพร่
- deferral (noun): the action of delaying something until a later time - การยืดเวลา
- extend: to add more time - ยืดออกไป
- fatality: a death caused by an illness, accident, crime or war - การเสียชีวิต
- green light: permission to go ahead and do something that you are waiting to do -
- party pooper: a person who does something to ruin a party, so the party is not fun anymore -