Masks needed for NY parties
New Year countdown celebrations will be allowed to take place in Bangkok, though people will be required to wear face masks in areas where crowds gather.
Bangkok governor Chadchart Sittipunt said on Wednesday the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) will ramp up its Covid-19 control measures during the New Year festival, with clear safety rules that revellers will be expected to follow.
Venues and event organisers who wish to hold a public New Year celebration are required to seek permission from City Hall, but to date, only Central World has applied to hold a large party on Dec 31, he said.
He also said more vaccination sites would be opened to ensure those who wish to get a booster shot before the New Year can do so.
Meanwhile, Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said Thailand is seeing an uptick in Covid-19 infections, particularly in tourism provinces.
In October, the government said it aimed to administer at least 2 million booster doses of Covid-19 vaccines by year-end. But with just two weeks to go, only 800,000 doses have been given.
Learn from listening
- administer (verb): to give drugs, medicine, etc. to somebody - ให้ (ยา), จ่ายยา
- celebration: a party or special event at which you celebrate something such as a birthday, a festival or a religious holiday - การฉลอง
- dose (noun): an amount of drug or something else that you take at a single time or affects you at a single time - ปริมาณที่ให้ต่อครั้ง
- governor: a person who is chosen to be in charge of the government of a state or province or a government agency - ผู้ว่าการรัฐ, ผู้ว่าราชการจังหวัด
- permission: allowing someone to do something - การอนุญาต,การอนุมัติ,การยินยอม
- ramp up: to make something increase in amount or strength; to make larger; to scale up; to escalate - ยกระดับ; เสริม
- revellers (noun): people who enjoy themselves at a party or celebration - คนที่ชอบงานฉลอง ความสนุกสนานและงานรื่นเริง
- shot: putting a liquid, especially a drug, into a person's body using a needle and a syringe; an injection - การฉีดยา
- uptick: an improvement - การเพิ่มขึ้นเล็กน้อย