Vendors' pot bud sales to be monitored
The Public Health Ministry is allowing cannabis buds to be sold by more than 5,000 licensed vendors nationwide next month, with vendors' and buyers' information to be sent to the International Narcotics Control Board (INCB).
Thongchai Lertwilairattanapong of the Department of Thai Traditional and Alternative Medicine (DTAM) said yesterday that those who want to sell cannabis buds, designated as a controlled herb, must first obtain permission from the department.
Dr Thongchai said the department is in the process of setting up a system to record information regarding the sale of dried cannabis buds from licensed vendors.
Vendors will need to provide information regarding the number of cannabis buds in their possession, where they buy and who they sell to, he said, adding that buyers must be more than 20 years old.
When customers buy cannabis buds, they must insert their ID card into a device linked with the DTAM's system.
From this, required information can be checked and forwarded to the INCB, Dr Thongchai said.
The system is expected to be in place next month, he said, adding that there are about 5,000 vendors licensed to sell cannabis and cannabis products nationwide.
Of that, about 2,000 are in Bangkok, mostly in tourist spots such as Khao San Road or the Thong Lor area, he said.
Learn from listening
- bud (n): a small part of a plant that develops into a flower or leaf -
- cannabis (noun): marijuana; a drug made from the dried leaves and flowers or resin of the hemp plant, which is smoked or eaten and which gives the user a feeling of being relaxed. Use of the drug is illegal in many countries. - กัญชา
- designated: formally chosen - แต่งตั้ง
- device (noun): a machine or piece of equipment that does a particular job - อุปกรณ์ เครื่องมือ เครื่องจักร
- licensed: having an official document that gives someone permission to do or use something - มีใบอนุญาต
- possession: having or owning something - การครอบครอง
- pot (n): marijuana -
- vendors: people who sell things, e.g., food or newspapers, usually outside on the street - พ่อค้าแม่่ค้าหาบแร่แผงลอย