Still hope for missing sailors
Search by air and sea continued on Tuesday for 30 crew members missing after HTMS Sukhothai sank in the Gulf of Thailand on Sunday night, the Royal Thai Fleet commander said.
Adm Adung Pan-iam said on Tuesday the navy “still hope that all 30 sailors are alive”.
“We will continue our search day by day until we find them," he said.
The commander said that the 30 missing men were sailors and marines assigned to the corvette HTMS Sukhothai. On Monday, 31 men were reported missing. One was later rescued from the sea by the frigate HTMS Kraburi off Prachuap Khiri Khan. He was unconscious, with a head injury, but kept alive by his buoyancy vest.
The raging sea prevented the corvette returning to Sattahip. The captain decided to head for shelter in Bang Saphan district of Prachuap Khiri Khan on Sunday evening, but could not make it. The ship capsized and sank in the storm.
"The incident happened very fast. The port side listed first and life rafts could not be launched there. The starboard side faced the stormy sea and it was difficult to release life rafts," the commander of the Royal Thai Fleet said.
"The captain confirmed that he followed all procedures and did his best to handle the crisis and prevent the vessel from capsizing, until that could not be done and the ship had to be abandoned," he said.
- abandon: to leave a place, especially because it is difficult or dangerous to stay there - ละทิ้ง
- buoyancy (noun): the fact of floating, being able to float or able to keep things floating - การลอย
- capsize: (of a boat or other object) to turn over in the water - คว่ำ, พลิกคว่ำ
- commander (noun): the head of large military unit or a crew - ผู้บังคับบัญชา
- corvette (noun): an escort vessel smaller than a frigate -
- frigate: a small fast ship in the navy that travels with other ships in order to protect them - เรือรบเคลื่อนเร็วขนาดเล็ก
- handle: to take action in order to deal with a difficult situation - ดูแล, จัดการ
- marine: a soldier who is trained to serve on land or at sea, especially one in the US Marine Corps, the British Royal Marines or the Thai armed forces - นาวิกโยธิน
- port (adj): the left side of a ship or aircraft -
- raft: a small light flat boat made of wood, rubber or plastic - แพ เรือแพ
- raging: happening with a lot of force or violence - รุนแรงมาก
- sailor (noun): someone who works on a boat, ship or a naval vessel ลูกเรือ, ทหารเรือ - someone who works on a boat, ship or a naval vessel ลูกเรือ, ทหารเรือ
- shelter: a place where people are protected from danger or bad weather; a temporary place to stay - ที่หลบภัย ที่พักชั่วคราว
- starboard (adj): the side of a ship or an aircraft that is on the right when you are facing forward - กราบขวา
- unconscious : in a sleeplike condition, usually from an illness or injury - หมดสติ
- vessel: a boat or ship - เรือ