Drunk trucker rear-ends 15 vehicles, one person killed
A 22-wheel trailer truck with a drunk driver at the wheel crashed into 15 other vehicles on a downhill stretch of a highway in Nakhon Ratchasima on Sunday night, killing one person and injuring six others, police said.
The accident occurred about 7.20pm on the Mitrapap highway. It caused about two hours of traffic congestion.
The trailer truck, loaded with rocks, was running downhill and ran into 15 other vehicles travelling ahead of it - two vans, four pickups and nine cars. One traveller was killed and six others injured.
The truck driver, identified only as Anusorn, 42, was taken to a local police station. Police said he had a blood-alcohol measurement level of 300, far over the 50 limit.
He was charged with drink-driving and recklessness causing death and injuries and property damage.
Learn from listening
- charge: to accuse someone officially of committing a crime - ตั้งข้อกล่าวหา
- congestion: a situation in which a place is crowded with people or vehicles - แน่นขนัดไปด้วยรถหรือคน
- injured (adj): hurt in an accident, natural disaster, attack, etc. - ได้รับบาดเจ็บ
- measurement (noun): the act or the process of finding the size, quantity or degree of something - การวัด
- rear-ended: hit from behind -
- recklessness: doing something dangerous and not worrying about the risks and the possible results - ความชะล่าใจ,ความเสี่ยง,ความไม่ยั้งคิด
- trailer: a truck, or a container with wheels, that is pulled by another vehicle - รถพ่วง