Taxi scam concerns visitors the most
published : 2 Feb 2023 at 09:08
writer: Gary Boyle
ORIGINAL SOURCE/WRITER: Narumon Kasemsuk
Overpriced taxi services are the leading complaint among foreign tourists, said the Tourism Council of Thailand (TCT).
TCT's quarterly survey, which polled 200 Western tourists in Thailand during the final quarter of 2022, showed satisfaction with taxi services received the lowest score of 3.5 out of 5, with tourists saying this is the most critical problem that should be solved immediately.
The survey of tourists in Bangkok found they were not satisfied as taxi drivers often only take passengers without using the meter, which means drivers can charge higher prices.
TCT's president said the government can help by cooperating with private taxi firms to offer a different type of taxi service with a distinct label or sign, such as a white-coloured taxi, to guarantee the fares are based on the driver's meter.
He said if the distinct taxis became popular among tourists, they could compete with traditional taxis as tourists would only seek this service.
Another concern for tourists from Europe and the US is the entry process at the airport upon arrival, which received a score of 3.45 out of 5.
They also highlighted the problems of litter at many popular tourist sites and air pollution from hazardous PM2.5 dust.
The council suggested limiting the capacity at some popular attractions to avoid overcrowding.
The survey found 50% of respondents had travelled to Thailand before.
Some 98% were travelling for leisure purposes, with 93% choosing Bangkok and 50% Phuket as their travel destination.
Learn from listening
- compete: to try to be more successful or better than somebody else who is trying to do the same as you - แข่งขัน
- critical (adj): (of a bad situation) very serious or dangerous - รุนแรง วิกฤต
- distinct: clearly noticeable - ชัดแจ้ง
- hazardous: dangerous, especially to people’s health or safety - ที่เป็นอันตราย
- leisure: relating to activities that you do to relax or enjoy yourself - เกี่ยวกับเวลาว่าง
- litter (noun): small pieces of rubbish/garbage such as paper, cans and bottles, that people have left lying in a public place - ขยะ
- meter (n): an electronic device in a taxi that records the distance travelled and shows the cost -
- overcrowding (noun): having too many people or things in something ซึ่งแออัดยัดเยียด - ซึ่งแออัดยัดเยียด
- poll: to ask a lot of people about what they feel about something - สำรวจความคิดเห็น
- process: a series of actions that you take in order to achieve a result - แนวทางปฏิบัติ, กระบวน, วิธีการ
- quarterly: a publication that is published every three months or "quarter" -
- satisfaction (noun): a feeling that you are pleased and satisfied - ความพอใจ