Policemen who stopped Taiwanese actress face bribery charges
published : 2 Feb 2023 at 13:41
writer: Gary Boyle
ORIGINAL SOURCE/WRITER: Online Reporters
Six policemen at Huai Khwang station face the charges of taking bribes in connection with alleged extortion of a Taiwanese actress's group at a checkpoint on Jan 4.
The charges carry a maximum sentence of life imprisonment and a fine of up to 400,000 baht.
Another senior sergeant major who was assigned to the same checkpoint was not charged because he was responding to another incident at the time.
Earlier the officers were charged with dereliction of duty for failing to take legal action against the group's illegal possession of vapourisers.
The bribery charges came after a Singaporean man told reporters on Wednesday that he paid 27,000 baht to the officers for the freedom of his group, which included Taiwanese actress Charlene An, from the checkpoint where police found his vaping devices.
The 33-year-old actress on Thursday posted a video clip to thank whistleblower and former politician Chuvit Kamolvisit for supporting her.
Mr Chuvit held a press conference at his hotel on Wednesday for the 29-year-old Singaporean man who identified himself only as "Sky" to speak about the incident at the police checkpoint in Huai Khwang district.
Learn from listening
- bribery: the crime of giving money or presents to someone so that they will help you by doing something dishonest or illegal - การให้สินบน
- charge: to accuse someone officially of committing a crime - ตั้งข้อกล่าวหา
- checkpoint: a place where people are stopped and questioned and vehicles are examined, especially at a border between two countries - ด่านตรวจ
- dereliction of duty: a serious failure to do the things that you are responsible for in your job - การละทิ้งหน้าที่
- imprisonment: the punishment of being put in prison - การจำคุก
- possession: having or owning something - การครอบครอง
- sentence : a punishment given by a court of law - การตัดสินลงโทษ
- vapouriser (n): a device such as an electronic cigarette (e-cigarette) that produces vapour that can be inhaled -
- whistleblower: a person who informs people in authority or the public that someone is doing something wrong or illegal -