Phuket apologises for attack on Chinese tourist
published : 8 Feb 2023 at 09:24
writer: Gary Boyle
ORIGINAL SOURCE/WRITER: Achadthaya Chuenniran
Phuket officials have met with a Chinese consular official, apologised for a tour agent's attack on a Chinese tourist and reported on the penalty given in the case.
Li Chenglong of China's Phuket consular office met Phuket governor Narong Woonciew and other local officials on Tuesday to discuss the Feb 1 incident.
On that day a woman at a Thai tour firm kicked a Chinese customer and cut his arm with a small knife during an argument over the client's demand for a full refund for a trip he and his family missed on Jan 31.
Investigators found that the tour firm did not pick up the family for the trip because of a miscommunication on their meeting point.
The tour agent said she acted in self-defence and said the customer was aggressive.
The Phuket governor invited Mr Li to the meeting on Tuesday. He apologised for the incident and informed him about the punishment given to the tour agent and her company.
The governor said the tour agent was charged with physical assault and illegal possession of a knife in public and she was liable to a prison term of up to three months and/or fine of 60,000 baht.
Her tour agency was suspended from business for six months and was being prosecuted for damaging Thailand's tourism image. The offence carried a fine of up to 500,000 baht, governor Narong said.
Mr Li responded that he was grateful for the quick action by Phuket officials.
Learn from listening
- aggressive: behaving in an angry and violent way towards another person - ก้าวร้าว
- apologise: to say you are sorry for doing something wrong or for causing a problem - ขอโทษ
- assault (noun): a sudden, violent attack - การทำร้าย
- consular: involving government officials who represent their country in a foreign city - เกี่ยวกับกงสุล
- demand: a very firm request for something - ข้อเรียกร้อง, การเรียกร้อง
- grateful: a feeling that you want thank someone because they have given you something or done something for you - สำนึกบุญคุณ
- image: an opinion that people have about someone or something - ภาพลักษณ์
- incident: something that happens, usually something bad - เหตุการณ์
- miscommunication: failure to communicate ideas or intentions successfully -
- possession: having or owning something - การครอบครอง
- punishment: an act or a way of punishing somebody - การลงโทษ
- refund: a reimbursement; an amount of money that is given back to you - เงินที่คืนให้
- self-defence: something you say or do in order to protect yourself when you are being attacked, criticised, etc - การป้องกันตัวเอง
- suspend: to stop for a period of time - ยกเลิกชั่วคราว, ระงับชั่วคราว