Haze problem set to worsen in March
The Centre for Air Pollution Mitigation (CAPM) on Monday said that the haze pollution in the North will worsen next month, while Bangkok will experience high levels of fine particulate matter (PM2.5).
On Monday, the CAPM reported that the air quality in 25 locations across the country is at unhealthy levels, as PM2.5 levels have surpassed the safe threshold of 50μg/m³.
In Bangkok and its surrounding areas, PM2.5 levels are at about 27–55μg/m³, with two locations, Bang Khun Thian district and Nonthaburi, experiencing "unhealthy levels of dust pollution", it said.
The PM2.5 levels in the North vary from 29–100 μg/m³, with 22 locations facing unhealthy levels. Mae Sot district of Tak is experiencing PM2.5 levels reaching the hazardous 100μg/m³ level. In the Northeast, the levels fall between 24 and 52μg/m³, with one location in Loei province surpassing the safe threshold, it noted.
According to CAPM's report, the PM2.5 levels in the eastern and southern regions are at moderate levels.
The Pollution Control Department forecasts that haze pollution in Bangkok, its adjacent cities and 17 northern provinces will worsen in the first week of March.
Learn from listening
- adjacent: very near, next to, or touching - ติดกัน
- dust: very small pieces of dirt that cover surfaces inside buildings like a powder - ฝุ่น
- haze: water, smoke or dust in the air that makes it difficult to see clearly - หมอกควัน
- moderate: neither very great nor very small in strength, size, amount or degree - ระดับปานกลาง
- pollution (noun): contaminated, when something has been made dirty, poisonous, unpleasant to see or smell and possibly dangerous to health - การทำให้เป็นมลพิษ, การทำให้สกปรก, ภาวะมลพิษ, สภาวะมลพิษ, มลภาวะเป็นพิษ, สภาพเป็นพิษ, ความสกปรก
- surpass: to do or be better than somebody/something - เหนือกว่า, เก่งกว่า, ดีกว่า, เกินกว่า
- threshold: the level or point at which you start to experience something, or at which something starts to happen - จุดเริ่มของประสบการณ์หรือเหตุการณ์ใหม่ๆ
- worsen (verb): to get worse, to make worse - เลวลง, แย่ลง, ทรุดลง
- μg/m³: microgrammes per cubic metre, a measure used for air pollution -