Hailstorms hammer Chiang Mai
published : 20 Mar 2023 at 09:16
writer: Gary Boyle
ORIGINAL SOURCE/WRITER: Post Reporters
Summer storms and hail damaged hundreds of properties in four districts of Chiang Mai on Saturday.
Hailstorms hit Mae Rim, Muang, San Kamphaeng and San Sai districts on Saturday.
In Mae Rim, summer storms damaged property, with trees, power poles and billboards falling across roads.
Hailstorms damaged 579 houses and farmland in Suthep sub-district. Power poles fell onto roads and caused blackouts in Fa Ham. More houses were damaged in Mae Hia and Nong Hoi.
In San Kamphaeng district, sugar palm trees were blown down and damaged vehicles.
In San Sai district, trees fell onto electrical wires and roads in San Phra Net. Blackouts occurred in San Sai Noi and Mae Faek Mai.
Learn from listening
- billboard: a large board on the outside of a building or at the side of the road, used for putting advertisements on - ป้ายหรือกระดานใช้สำหรับโฆษณา
- blackout: a sudden loss of electrical power - ไฟดับ
- damage (verb): to harm or spoil something/somebody - ทำความเสียหาย
- hailstorm: a storm in which a lot small balls of ice fall like rain - พายุลูกเห็บ
- hammer (verb): to hit something hard, often many times, - กระหน่ำ
- palm (noun): a straight tree with a mass of long leaves at the top, growing in tropical countries - ต้นปาล์ม
- pole: a long thin stick, or piece of wood or concrete, often used for holding or supporting something - เสา, หลัก, คาน
- property: land owned by someone - ที่ดิน, อสังหาริมทรัพย์
- vehicle: a machine that you travel in or on, especially one with an engine that travels on roads, e.g., a car, bus, van, truck, etc. - ยานพาหนะ
- wires (noun): metal in the form of thin threads - สายโลหะ