Influencer arrested for gift box fraud
The social media influencer “Nara Crepe Katoey” has been arrested in Ayutthaya for public fraud over online sales of random gift boxes, some of which she said would contain gold worth far more than what people paid.
Consumer protection police searched three premises in Ayutthaya and Lop Buri on Tuesday morning in search of the transgender personality whose real name is Aniwat Prathumthin.
Police found Aniwat, 24, at the home of her boyfriend in Bang Pa-in district.
Police said many victims had filed complaints that Aniwat had lured people into buying gift boxes during her livestreams on Facebook. The prices varied — 10,000, 50,000 and 100,000 baht.
For 10,000 baht, people were told they would have a chance of receiving gold worth more than 15,000 baht plus 6,000 baht cash. Other boxes would contain other goods worth around 10,000 baht.
For 50,000 baht they might get 3 baht weight of gold and 20,000 baht cash. If they paid 100,000 baht they might get 5 baht weight of gold plus 50,000 baht cash — worth more than 200,000 baht.
People sent money but did not receive the gift boxes.
In September last year, Aniwat was arrested on a charge of advertising dietary supplements containing a hazardous stimulant.
Three months before that, she was charged along with another transgender influencer and a woman with lese majeste, for a video promotion for the Lazada e-commerce network.
Learn from listening
- complaint: when someone says that something is wrong or not satisfactory - การบ่น, ข้อที่ไม่พอใจ
- consumer: someone who buys and uses goods and services - ผู้บริโภค
- dietary (adj.): related to the food and drink usually taken by a person or group - อาหาร, สิ่งที่กินได้
- fraud: something (or someone) that deceives people by not being what it seems to be; bogus - ไม่แท้ การโกง การหลอกลวง
- hazardous: dangerous, especially to people’s health or safety - ที่เป็นอันตราย
- influencer (noun): a person who influencers, i.e., a person who has the power to make somebody/something behave in a particular way - คนที่มีอิทธิพล
- lese majeste: the crime of offending, threatening or showing disrespect for a member of the royal family - หมิ่นพระบรมเดชานุภาพ
- lure: to attract someone/something - ล่อใจ, หลอกล่อ, ยั่วยวน
- premises: the buildings and land that a business or organisation uses - ที่ดินและสิ่งปลูกสร้าง
- stimulant: a substance that makes a part of your body work faster or better; a substance that makes you feel more awake when you eat it or drink it - สารกระตุ้น
- supplement: a pill or special food that you take or eat when your food does not contain everything that you need - อาหารเสริม
- transgender: an umbrella term for people whose gender identity and/or gender expression differs from what is typically associated with the sex they were assigned at birth - คนข้ามเพศ, คนที่แสดงออก หรือแต่งกาย หรือผ่านการผ่าตัดเพื่อเปลี่ยนเป็นเพศตรงข้าม
- worth: having a value in money, etc - มีค่า, มีมูลค่า