Missing Malaysian woman tracked to Myanmar border
A missing 22-year-old Malaysian woman went to the border with Myanmar in Mae Sai district before her family lost contact with her, according to official sources.
The sources said Chong Sum Yee aka Angie checked in to a hotel near the Mae Sai border checkpoint on May 29.
The following day she rode on a motorcycle towards the border in tambon Koh Chang, with Tachilek township in Myanmar on the other side.
The young woman tourist was seen in surveillance camera footage sitting in the lobby of the hotel. A woman greeted her in a friendly manner and they both then walked out of the hotel.
She was seen riding pillion on a motorcycle towards the border in tambon Koh Chang.
Officials had found the woman motorcyclist, who said that Angie paid her 500 baht to go to a border pier in tambon Koh Chang. She did not know if the Malaysian woman crossed the border.
The signal from the missing woman's mobile phone disappeared at the border in tambon Koh Chang. Thai officials said she might have entered Myanmar using an unofficial border crossing point.
Thai officials have asked their counterparts in Myanmar to look for the missing woman.
Learn from listening
- border: the official line separating two areas, regions or countries - เขตแดน อาณาเขต
- checkpoint: a place where people have to stop so their vehicles and documents can be checked - ด่านตรวจ
- counterpart (noun): someone who has the same job or purpose as another person, but in a different country, time, situation or organisation - คนที่อยู่ในตำแหน่งเดียวกันของอีกประเทศ หรือ กลุ่มหนึ่ง
- lobby: a large area inside the entrance of a public building where people can meet and wait - ห้องโถง,ทางเข้า, ซุ้มประตู, ห้องรับรอง
- pier: a platform sticking out into water which people walk along or use when getting onto or off boats - ท่าเรือชนิดยื่นออกไปในน้ำ, สะพานที่ยื่นออกไปในน้ำ
- signal: a mobile phone, TV or radio transmission -
- source: a place where information comes from; someone who gives information - แหล่งข่าว
- surveillance footage: video from a camera that is put in a place to constantly record what happens there - เทปวิดีโอจากกล้องวงจรปิดเพื่อรักษาการความปลอดภัย
- track: to follow the development or progress of something - ติดตาม
- unofficial: not formally approved by anyone in authority - ไม่เป็นทางการ