Clever dog saves newborn girl.(updated)
published : 4 Jun 2013 at 08:49
writer: Terry Fredrickson
Pui knew that plastic bag contained something unusual, so he brought it home and barked loudly to get attention. Now he is a local hero.
Please join us on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/bangkokpostlearning
Pui with local Red Cross officials after receiving his awards, a leather collar and a medal. Post Today photo.
Sasithorn Pinnikorn, the office chief, said among the families who contacted the office is an American married to a Thai woman.
In the meantime, she is being cared for in an incubator at Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya hospital in Muang district, after being transferred from Tha Rua hospital.
Clever dog saves newborn girl.
Hospital workers attend to the newborn girl. SUNTHORN PONGPAO
Pui likes to wander around his rural community in tambon Sala Loi in Tha Rua district of Ayutthaya looking for scraps of food to eat.
Yesterday, the male Thai Bangkaew dog was rummaging around a dump site when he found a white plastic bag with something unusual in it.
Pui carried the bag back to the home of his master Gumnerd Thongmak and barked loudly to get attention.
Mr Gumnerd’s niece, Sudarat, 12, said she went downstairs after hearing Pui barking and found the bag on the patio.
She opened it and was shocked to find a newborn baby inside.
Sudarat ran to get her mother. The baby was extremely small and clearly in a dangerously weak condition, so they rushed the baby to Tha Rua Hospital.
Hospital officials said the baby, a girl, weighs 2.2kg. They believed she was born prematurely, at around seven and a half months. She was later transferred to Phranakhon Sri Ayutthaya Hospital.
Tha Rua district chief Withit Pinnikorn said the district has asked village and tambon chiefs to look for the baby’s mother.
Meanwhile, Pui has become a local hero. Yesterday Tha Rua Red Cross officials awarded him a leather collar and a medal as a token of appreciation for his clever rescue.
Pui also received a free medical checkup from a local veterinarian and, best of all, plenty of delicious food. Pui should remain well-fed for some time as one local man gave Pui’s owner 10,000 baht for dog food supplies.
Adapted from a story in today’s Bangkok Post plus information from local Thai-language news sources.
The newborn girl is being cared for in an incubator at Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya hospital after being found by a dog on Monday. SUNTHORN PONGPAO
Learn from listening
- adopt: to take someone else’s child into your family and legally make him or her your own child - รับเลี้ยงเป็นลูก
- appreciation: the feeling of being grateful for something - ความสำนึกบุญคุณ
- attention: the interest or thought that you give to something you are doing, listening to or watching - ความสนใจ, ความตั้งใจ
- bark: the short loud sound made by dogs and some other animals - เสียงเห่าของสุนัข
- community: the people living in one particular area - ชุมชน
- condition: the physical state of a person, animal, thing or place - สภาพ
- dump (verb): to get rid of, to cause to fall (rain, snow, etc.) - ทิ้ง
- hero: a person, especially a man, who is admired by many people for doing something brave or good - วีรบุรุษ
- male: being a man or a boy - ผู้ชาย
- master: the male owner of a dog -
- meanwhile: at the same time - ในเวลาเดียวกัน
- niece: a daughter of your brother or sister, or a daughter of your husband’s or wife’s brother or sister - หลานสาว
- patio: a flat hard area outside, and usually behind, a house where people can sit - นอกชาน ลานบ้าน
- premature: happening too soon or before the usual time - ก่อนเวลาอันควร
- prematurely: happening or being born before the normal length of pregnancy has been completed - คลอดก่อนกำหนด
- rescue: saving a person or animal from a dangerous or unpleasant situation - การช่วยชีวิต
- rummage: to search for something among a lot of other things; to move things around carelessly while searching for something - ค้นกระจุยกระจาย, รื้อค้น
- rural: connected with the countryside outside big towns and cities - ในชนบท, บ้านนอก
- rushed: taken somewhere very quickly - ด้วยความเร่งรีบ
- scraps: food left after a meal - เศษอาหาร
- shocked: very surprised and upset - ตกใจ
- site: a place where something happened - ที่เกิดเหตุ
- token: something that is a symbol of a feeling, a fact, an event, etc. - สิ่งที่ใช้เป็นสัญลักษณ์
- transfer: to move someone or something from one place, vehicle, person or group to another - ย้าย
- veterinarian: a person with a medical degree trained to take care of the health of animals - สัตวแพทย์
- wander: roam; to travel from place to place without a particular direction or purpose - เดินทางไปโดยไม่มีจุดหมายที่แน่นอน, ร่อนเร่