Mercedes for peace?
published : 24 Jan 2014 at 10:49
writer: Terry Fredrickson
A group of white shirts gathered in support of peace and the election, but ended up creating an advertisement for the German car-maker Mercedes.
Please join us on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/bangkokpostlearning
Mercedes for peace?
That's not quite the symbol they thought they were making.
On Tuesday, a group of pro-election and anti-violence supporters gathered in Pathum Thani for a candle-lighting ceremony.
They wore the traditional white shirts of this new movement with the well-known "respect my vote" slogan on the front.
They wanted to do something a bit different, so they decided to form the famous peace symbol with their lighted candles. It looks, however, like they forgot to check what the peace symbol really looks like.
So, instead of forming a peace sign with their candles, they created a symbol that looks very much the the logo of German luxury car maker Mercedes Benz.
When photos were posted on the internet, social media netizens quickly noticed and shared them with their friends, together with humorous comments. One person even wondered if the German automaker paid the white shirts to do an advertisement.
Adapted from a story by Pongpat Wongyala.
- advertisement (noun): advert; a short piece of video or words with pictures that makes people interesting in buying some product - การโฆษณา
- ceremony (noun): a formal public event - งานพิธี
- embarrassing: making you feel ashamed, nervous or stupid -
- gather (verb): to come/bring together in a group - รวมกลุ่ม, รวมตัวกัน, จับกลุ่มกัน, ชุมนุม
- humorous: funny and entertaining; showing a sense of humour - ตลก,ขบขัน
- logo: a printed design or symbol that a company or an organization uses as its special sign - โลโก้, เครื่องหมาย
- luxury: the best and most expensive of something - ที่หรูหรา
- movement (noun): a group of people who share the same aim and work together to achieve it - การเคลื่อนไหวเพื่อวัตถุประสงค์ทางการเมือง
- netizen: a person who uses the Internet a lot - พลเมืองเครือข่ายคอมพิวเตอร์
- oppose: to disagree with or not approve of a plan or policy - คัดค้าน
- respect: to accept the importance of someone's rights or customs - เคารพ
- slogan: a short easily remembered phrase, especially one used to advertise an idea or a product - สโลแกน
- social media: the use of web-based and mobile technologies to turn communication into an interactive dialogue, e.g., Facebook, Twitter, etc. - เครือข่ายสังคมออนไลน์
- symbol: someone or something that represents a particular idea or quality - สัญลักษณ์
- traditional (adj): of a custom, a way of life or a way of doing things that has not changed for a long time - เป็นประเพณี, ตามธรรมเนียม, ตามที่ปฏิบัติกันมา
- violence: physical force with the deliberate intention of causing damage to property or injury or death to people - ความรุนแรง, การใช้กำลังทำลาย
- wonder: to think about something because you want to know more facts or details about it - สงสัย