Ebola suspect found – healthy
published : 25 Nov 2014 at 18:06
writer: Terry Fredrickson
The Sierra Leonean man who failed to report to health officials for monitoring for possible Ebola has been found healthy and without fever and he will leave Thailand today, a senior health official said on Tuesday.
Please join us on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/bangkokpostlearning
Sierra Leone man found
The Sierra Leonean man who failed to report to health officials for monitoring for possible Ebola as required has been found and will leave Thailand today, a senior health official said on Tuesday.
Rungrueng Kijpati, director of the Bureau of General Communicable Disease, said a checkup showed Samuel Sesay had no fever and was healthy, according to a Matichon Online report.
The Royal Thai Police and Immigration Bureau ordered an urgent search on Monday for the 31-year-old man who came to Thailand on Nov 13 from Ebola-hit Sierra Leone.
"We'd like to clarify that under the disease control procedure, even though a person has come from a plague-hit country, we can't just quarantine him at a hospital. We can only do so if he shows symptoms, especially fever, or has a record of coming into contact with the disease or a person who had died of the virus," the doctor said.
"The most we can do is monitor him and ask him to report to officials for 21 days as allowed by law," Dr Rungrueng said.
Mr Sesay is with officials at Savarnabhumi airport's disease control checkpoint.
Learn from listening
- clarify: to explain something more clearly so that it is easier to understand - แจกแจง ชี้แจง
- communicable disease: a disease that can spread from one person or animal to another - โรคที่สามารถติดต่อได้
- contact (noun): a situation in which people or things touch each other or come very close to each other - การสัมผัส
- fever: an abnormally high body temperature - ไข้
- Immigration Bureau: the government agency dealing with people entering and leaving the country and those who want to live there - สำนักงานตรวจคนเข้าเมือง
- monitor: to regularly check something - จับตาดู เฝ้าระมัดระวัง
- outbreak: the sudden start of a disease - การระบาดของโรค
- plague (noun): any infectious disease that kills a lot of people - โรคระบาดรุนแรง
- procedure: a way of doing something - ขั้นตอนการดำเนินการ
- quarantine (noun): a situation in which a person or animal that might have a disease is kept separate from other people or animals so that they do not catch the disease - การกักบริเวณ, การจำกัดบริเวณ
- search (noun): looking somewhere or through something carefully in order to find something - การค้นหา
- senior: with a high rank or position - อาวุโส
- suffer (from): to be badly affected by a disease, pain, sadness, a lack of something, etc - เป็นโรค, ประสบความทุกข์
- symptom: a sign that someone has an illness - อาการ
- urgent: needing to be dealt with immediately - ที่เร่งด่วน