Now is it cool, chilly or cold?
published : 15 Jan 2015 at 08:30
writer: Terry Fredrickson
Today's early morning of temperature in Bangkok has dropped another degree from 17.3 to 16.2 Celsius. Does it change your mind about whether it is cool, chilly or cold? (updated)
Please join us on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/bangkokpostlearning
These schoolchildren in Chiang Rai are used to winter temperatures in the low teens. TAWATCHAI KHEMGUMNERD
Bangkok weather information from Wunderground.com captured just after I got up on Thursday, January 15.
Is it cool, chilly or cold?
Update: Friday's early morning temperature has dropped another degree. Does that make it "cold" today?
Since I'm from the northern US state of Minnesota where temperatures routinely fall below minus 20 Celsius during the winter, I would say this morning's temperature (January 15) in Bangkok of 17.3 was "cool".
Notice, however, that there was no wind this morning. If there was a brisk wind, I might then use the word "chilly". That may happen later in the day.
I would definitely use the word "chilly" for Chiang Rai in the North where the early morning temperature was 11 degrees Celsius. Again, if there was a wind, I might even say "cold". But, if I were in Minnesota, and the temperature reached 11 degrees in the winter, I would say "unusually warm.
The meanings of words like hot, warm, cool, chilly and cold are relative. They depend not just on the temperature, but on how our body feels and our own experience with the weather and, of course, how windy it is.
So, is today's weather going to be cool, chilly, or cold? It depends on you and where you live.
Here is what the Thai Meteorological Department says:
Even in Bangkok, schoolchildren are dressing for the "winter" weather. PATTARACHAI PREECHAPANICH
Cold and fog in the morning.
Minimum temperature 10-16 °C. Maximum temperature 25-30 °C.
Cold to very cold on mountaintops with isolated frost, minimum temperature 2-8 °C.
Easterly winds 10-25 km/hr.
The temperature in my hometown as night began to fall just a few hours ago.
Cold with mist in morning and slight change in temperature.
Minimum temperature 9-15 °C. Maximum temperature 26-29 °C.
Cold on mountaintops, minimum temperature 4-10 °C.
Northeasterly winds 15-35 km/hr.
Cool with mist in morning and slight change in temperature.
Minimum temperature 17-22 °C. Maximum temperature 30-32 °C.
Northeasterly winds 15-35 km/hr.
Wave height about 1 meter and 1-2 meters offshore.
South (East Coast)
Surat Thani northward: Cool in the morning.
Northeasterly winds 20-35 km/hr. Wave height about 2 meters.
Nakhon Si Thammarat downward: Cloudy with widely scattered thundershowers
Minimum temperature 19-24 °C. Maximum temperature 29-32 °C.
Easterly winds 20-40 km/hr. Wave height 2-3 meters.
South (West Coast)
Learn from listening
- brisk: (of wind and weather) cold but pleasantly fresh -
- chilly (adj.): cool enough to be unpleasant, but not really cold - เย็นชา
- depend on: according to; affected by things that happen - ขึ้นอยู่กับ
- fog: a weather condition in which very small drops of water come together to form a thick cloud close to the land or sea, making it difficult to see - หมอก
- frost (noun): a weather condition in which the temperature drops below 0°C (= freezing point ) so that a thin white layer of ice forms on the ground and other surfaces, especially at night - น้ำค้างแข็ง, แม่คะนิ้ง (ภาษาถิ่นทางภาคเหนือ)
- isolated: set apart from; disconnected from - แยกออกมา ตั้งอยู่เดี่ยวๆ
- maximum: the most possible - ที่สูงสุด ที่มากที่สุด
- Meteorological Department: the government department in charge of determining what the weather will be in the future - กรมอุตุนิยมวิทยา
- metropolitan: relating to a large city - เกี่ยวกับเมืองใหญ่
- minimum: the lowest possible; the lowest allowed - ต่ำที่สุด, น้อยที่สุด
- mist: a cloud of very small drops of water in the air just above the ground, that make it difficult to see - หมอก
- relative (adj): considered and judged by being compared with something else; that exists or that has a particular quality only when compared with something else - ที่เปรียบเทียบกัน; สัมพัทธ์
- routinely: regularly, done often - จำเจ, บ่อยๆ, ซ้ำซาก
- scattered: spread over a large area or time period - กระจัดกระจาย
- slight: small in size or amount - เล็กน้อย
- temperature: a measurement of how hot or how cold a place or object is - อุณหภูมิ
- thundershower: a short rain accompanied by the loud noise known as thunder - พายุฝนฟ้าคะนองที่ตกปรอย ๆ สั้น ๆ
- wave: a raised line of water that moves across the surface of the sea, ocean, etc - คลื่น