Police vehicle clamped in no-parking zone
One nice thing about driving a police vehicle is that you can park it anywhere and no-one will doing anything about it. Right? Wrong!
Please join us on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/bangkokpostlearning
Police vehicle clamped in no-parking zone
One nice thing about driving a police vehicle is that you can park it anywhere and no-one will doing anything about it. Right?
Wrong – at least in the town Surat Thani in southern Thailand.
The proof is in the picture that went viral after it was shared on the Surat Thani Facebook page on Friday. It shows a parked Mitsubishi pickup truck with the standard police shield and the name of the unit to which it belongs – Provincial Police Region 8.
What's unusual is that the right front wheel of the pickup is clamped and there's a parking ticket on the windshield.
"My appreciation for the good example and equal treatment," wrote the person who posted the surprising image.
It turns out the truck was parked on Ratbamrung Soi 2, where parking is banned on even-numbered dates. There was no excuse for the police vehicle to be there since it was parked right next to a sign spelling out the regulation.
Pol Sen Sgt Maj Sangkhom Tiangpranee, head of a traffic unit at the Muang district station, spotted the truck when he was patrolling on a motorcycle at 7am on Friday. He reportedly stopped, clamped its wheel and wrote a ticket.
Yes, the fine – 500 baht – was paid and Pol Sen Sgt Maj Sangkhom was given a reward for a job well done.
The owner of the truck, a deputy superintendent, will likely undergo a disciplinary investigation.
Adapted from a story by Supapong Chaolan
Learn from listening
- appreciation: the feeling of being grateful for something - ความสำนึกบุญคุณ
- banned: officially not allowed to do something - ถูกห้าม
- clamp (verb): to hold something tightly, or fasten two things together, with a clamp (a device that is attached to the wheel of a car that has been parked illegally, so that it cannot be driven away) - หนีบไว้,จับไว้, ล็อคล้อ
- deputy: a person whose rank is immediately below that of the leader of an organisation - รอง
- disciplinary: related to the punishment of people who do not obey the rules - การลงโทษเนื่องจากการฝ่าฝืนวินัย หรือระเบียบ
- equal: having the same rights or being treated the same as other people, without differences such as race, religion or sex being considered - เท่าเทียมกัน
- even-numbered (adj): 2,4,6,8, etc. instead of odd-numbered (1,3,5,7, etc.) - เลขคู่
- excuse: a reason that you give to explain why you have done something bad, or why you have not done something that you should have done - ข้อแก้ตัว, ข้ออ้าง
- fine: an amount of money that you have to pay because you have broken the law - ค่าปรับ
- image: a photograph, painting, or other work of art that represents a person or thing - รูปภาพ
- investigation: the process of trying to find out all the details or facts about something - การสอบสวน
- patrol: to move regularly around a place in order to prevent trouble or crime or to watch for an enemy - ลาดตระเวน
- proof: information, documents, etc. that show that something is true - การพิสูจน์
- provincial (adj): related to "provinces" , the different parts of a country - ประจำจังหวัด, ส่วนท้องถิ่น
- region: a large area of land or space, usually without exact limits or borders - ภูมิภาค, ขอบเขต, แถบ, บริเวณ
- regulation: an official rule that controls the way that things are done - กฎระเบียบ
- reward: money that someone receives for finding and returning something or for helping the police - รางวัล
- shield: an object that police officers carry in order to protect themselves - เกราะ
- spell out: to explain something in detail - ระบุรายละเอียด
- spot: to see or notice - สังเกตเห็น
- standard: average or normal rather than having special or unusual features - ซึ่งเป็นมาตรฐาน
- superintendent: a senior police officer - เจ้าหน้าที่ตำรวจระดับสูง
- ticket: an official notice that orders you to pay a fine because you have done something illegal while driving or parking your car - ใบสั่ง สำหรับผู้กระทำผิดกฎจราจร
- treatment: a way of behaving towards or dealing with a person or thing - การปฏิบัติ
- turns out: to be discovered to be; to prove to be - กลับกลายเป็น
- undergo: to experience something which is unpleasant or which involves a change - ประสบ (เหตุการณ์ในด้านลบ)
- unit: a group of people who work or live together, especially for a particular purpose - หน่วย,กอง,กลุ่ม
- viral: (of a video, photo, story, etc.) spread across the internet very quickly (like a virus spreading a disease) as people share it with their friends or the news media reports on it - แพร่กระจายผ่านทางอินเทอร์เน็ตอย่างรวดเร็ว
- windshield: the large glass window at the front of a vehicle; a windscreen - กระจกหน้ารถ