Monday: 51 new coronavirus cases, 3 deaths
Thailand has recorded 51 new confirmed coronavirus cases and three additional deaths on Monday, a health official said.
Total infections in the country now stand at 2,220, with the total death toll at 26.
The number of new cases was exactly half the 102 reported on Sunday, and the lowest number of new cases since March 20.
Dr Taweesin Visanuyothin, spokesman of the government’s Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration, said the 24th death was a Thai man aged 28 who was an employee at a company in Bangkok. A colleague of his wife had the disease.
The 26th death was a 59-year-old female vendor who suffered from diabetes.
Dr Taweesin warned that people should not feel comfortable with Monday's lower number of 51 new infections because many suspected new cases are being investigated could be confirmed later.
The 2,220 local cases were reported in 66 provinces. That number includes 793 people who recovered and were discharged from hospitals.
Learn from listening
- colleague (noun): someone who works in the same organisation or department as you do or someone you know who has the same type of job - เพื่อนร่วมงาน
- diabetes: a serious medical condition in which your body does not produce enough insulin to reduce the amount of sugar in the blood - โรคเบาหวาน
- discharge: to allow someone officially to leave somewhere, especially a hospital or a court of law - ได้รับอนุญาตให้ออกจาก
- hypertension: high blood pressure - ความดันโลหิตสูง
- infection: a disease or medical condition that is caused by a bacteria or by a virus or a parasite - การติดเชื้อ
- obesity: being overweight, which can have a negative effect on health -
- spokesman: a person who speaks on behalf of a group or an organization - โฆษก