Friday: 4 new Covid cases
The government on Friday reported four new coronavirus disease infections, all people in quarantine who had returned recently from the United Arab Emirates or Sudan.
He said that did not mean the country was free of the disease. He pointed to Beijing, which had not recorded a local infection for about 50 days before a second wave of Covid-19 cases hit the Chinese capital city.
He warned that people should not lower their guard.
"No matter how many days have passed without a local infection, it does not mean that there is no disease. This is why everyone is saying that a second round of infection will occur," Dr Taweesilp said.
Two of the new cases announced on Friday are women, aged 22 and 27 who arrived from Sudan on Wednesday, when they tested positive for Covid-19.
They were quarantined in Samut Prakan province.
The other two are masseuses, aged 32 and 53. They returned from the UAE on June 13, were quarantined in Bangkok and tested negative initially. They tested positive on Wednesday, and were asymptomatic.
Learn from listening
- asymptomatic (adj): (of a person or illness) having no symptoms, i.e., not signs of a disease or medical condition - ไร้อาการ
- infection: a disease or medical condition that is caused by a bacteria or by a virus or a parasite - การติดเชื้อ
- locally: in or related to the area that you live, or to the particular area that you are talking about - ในท้องถิ่น, ในประเทศ
- lower their guard: to stop being on high alert, i.e., to become less prepared to deal with a problem or danger - ระวังตัวน้อยลง
- masseuse: a woman whose job is to give people massages - หมอนวดที่เป็นหญิง
- measures (noun): actions taken to solve a particular problem - มาตรการ
- quarantine (verb): to keep a person or animal that might have a disease separate from other people or animals so that they do not catch the disease - กักบริเวณ จำกัดบริเวณ
- social distancing: avoiding groups of people in order to slow the spread of a disease -
- wave: an activity or situation which is happening again or is being repeated after a pause -