New Covid cases in Nakhon Phanom pub cluster
Ten new coronavirus cases have been confirmed in Nakhon Phanom province, most linked to local entertainment venues.
At a media briefing Tuesday on the Covid-19 situation, Governor Kaisorn Kongchalard and senior health officials announced the 10 new infections, raising the total number in the north-eastern province to 43.
The infections were from a cluster in Muang municipality, where a pub employee was believed infected with the virus by visitors coming from high-risk provinces. The disease spread quickly, the governor said.
People who visited entertainment venues between April 4 and 12 are asked to give a Covid-19 swab at the provincial hall, where a testing station will remain open until April 22. To date, more than1,500 people had given samples, the governor said. Results were expected this week.
All entertainment venues in Muang district have been ordered closed for 14 days and are being disinfected. Popular tourist spots in 12 districts have also been temporarily closed to the public. They include Wat Phrathat Phanom Voramahaviharn in That Phanom district and Lan Phaya Srisatta Nakharat, also known as the Naga monument, in Muang district.
People arriving from any of 18 provinces declared red zones must report to authorities and must self-quarantine. Field hospitals in the province’s 12 districts have more than 300 beds, enough for any infected people, the governor said.
- authority (noun): a person or government agency who has the power to make decisions or enforce the law - เจ้าหน้าที่ผู้มีอำนาจ
- briefing: a meeting in which people receive information or instruction - การสรุปแบบสั้นๆ
- disinfect: to make something clean by treating it with a substance that kills disease causing organisms - ฆ่าเชื้อโรค, ทำให้ปลอดเชื้อ
- district (noun): an area of a country, town or province, especially one that has particular features - เขต, อำเภอ, บริเวณ, แขวง
- governor: a person who is chosen to be in charge of the government of a state or province or a government agency - ผู้ว่าการรัฐ, ผู้ว่าราชการจังหวัด
- monument (noun): a statue or building that is built to honour a special person or event - อนุสาวรีย์ หรืออนุสรณ์สถาน
- quarantine (verb): to keep a person or animal that might have a disease separate from other people or animals so that they do not catch the disease - กักบริเวณ จำกัดบริเวณ
- senior: with a high rank or position - อาวุโส
- temporarily: for a limited period of time - ชั่วคราว
- venues (noun): places where activities or events happen - สถานที่