27 Covid deaths, 2,290 new cases Friday
There were 27 more Covid-19 fatalities and 2,290 new cases in the country over the past 24 hours, the Public Health Ministry reported on Friday morning.
There were 1,996 cases in the general population and 294 among prison inmates.
Over the past 24 hours, 5,711 Covid-19 patients were recovered and were discharged from hospitals.
Since April 1, around when the third wave of Covid-19 began, there have been 160,965 Covid-19 patients, 117,572 of whom have recovered.
Since the pandemic started early last year, there have been 189,828 Covid-19 cases.
The death toll was at 1,308 in the third wave and 1,402 from the beginning of the pandemic early last year.
The Covid-19 Information Centre at first announced the number of new fatalities at 43 before 8am, and about 20 minutes later reduced it to 27.
The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration said later during the afternoon briefing that the 27 fatalities were aged from 48-94 years.
They said 17 were in Bangkok, two each in Pathum Thani and Samut Sakhon, and one each in Samut Prakan, Kanchanaburi, Kamphaeng Phet, Chai Nat, Ratchaburi and Saraburi.
The 2,290 new cases over the past 24 hours included 1,966 community infections and 30 imported cases. Bangkok had the most cases at 942.
There were 78 clusters including three new ones – 59 cases at the Worasit camp of construction workers in Laksi district, 20 cases (13 vendors and seven relatives) at Soi Lalai Sap market in Bang Rak district, and 37 cases at a factory in Phasicharoen district.
There were also 30 imported cases from arrivals from overseas.
- cluster: group of people, animals or things close together - กลุ่ม
- community: the people living in one particular area - ชุมชน
- death toll: the number of people killed - ยอดผู้เสียชีวิต
- discharge: to allow someone officially to leave somewhere, especially a hospital or a court of law - ได้รับอนุญาตให้ออกจาก
- inmate: someone who is kept in a prison, mental hospital or other institution - ผู้ถูกกักกัน, ผู้ถูกกักบริเวณในเรือนจำหรือโรงพยาบาล
- population (noun): all the people who live in a particular area, city or country; the total number of people who live there - ประชากร, พลเมือง, จำนวนประชากร