165 Covid deaths, 17,669 new cases Thursday
The country had a record high of 165 new Covid-19 fatalities and a daily record of 17,669 new cases over the past 24 hours, the Public Health Ministry reported on Thursday morning.
There were 17,408 cases in the general population and 261 among prison inmates.
Since April 1, when the third wave of Covid-19 began, there have been 532,167 Covid-19 patients, 352,864 of whom have recovered.
Since the pandemic started early last year, there have been 561,030 Covid-19 cases, 370,492 of whom recovered.
The death toll was at 4,468 in the third wave and 4,562 from the beginning of the pandemic early last year.
The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) reported on Thursday afternoon that more than half of the fatalities were registered in Bangkok and five neighbouring provinces.
Bangkok led new transmissions with 3,963 cases, followed by Samut Sakhon (1,172), Nakhon Pathom (984), Chon Buri (982) and Samut Prakan (810).
- fatality: a death caused by an illness, accident, crime or war - การเสียชีวิต
- inmate: someone who is kept in a prison, mental hospital or other institution - ผู้ถูกกักกัน, ผู้ถูกกักบริเวณในเรือนจำหรือโรงพยาบาล
- neighbouring: located or living near or next to a place or person - ติดกัน, ที่อยู่ใกล้เคียง, ที่ตั้งอยู่ใกล้เคียง
- pandemic: a disease that affects almost everyone in a very large area - โรคที่มีการแพร่กระจายหรือระบาดไปทั่ว
- patients (noun): people who are receiving medical treatment - คนป่วย, คนไข้
- recovered: became fit and healthy again - ฟื้นฟูร่างกาย
- transmission: the spread of a disease from one person or animal to another - การแพร่เชื้อ