Fire destroys luxury resort
A fire caused extensive damage to Soneva Kiri Koh Kood, a luxury hotel on Koh Kut island in Trat province, early on Sunday.
The hotel was a "secluded eco-luxury resort" with prices starting around 48,000 baht a night for two guests.
Local teams received a report of the fire about 5.45am and immediately sent fire engines and crews to the scene.
When they arrived the blaze had already spread through the main building and three smaller ones. All were built of wood.
Fire crews saved a fourth building but the other three were extensively damaged.
Damage to the large building was initially estimated at 200 million to 300 million baht.
A family of five or six were staying in the hotel when the fire started.
The father broke a bone in his back in a fall while escaping the fire and one of the children was also injured. They were rushed to a hospital.
The family returned to Bangkok on Sunday afternoon.
- blaze: a fire - เพลิง
- bone (noun): the hard inner structure of the body - กระดูก
- crew (noun): a group of people who work together to do a job - กลุ่มคนที่ทำงานร่วมกัน
- damage (noun): physical harm caused to something which makes it less attractive, useful or valuable - ความเสียหาย
- escape (verb): to get away from a place; to leave a place where you are in danger - หนี
- extensively: in considerable detail; thoroughly - อย่างกว้างขวาง
- luxury: the best and most expensive of something - ที่หรูหรา
- secluded (adjective): without contact with the outside world, private, hidden, withdrawn, isolated - ไม่ติดต่อโลกภายนอก, สันโดษ, อยู่ลำพังคนเดียวหรือห่างไกลจากชุมนุมชน