Chinese plane catches fire at airport
A Chinese passenger plane veered off a runway during takeoff and caught fire at an airport in the city of Chongqing, central China, on Thursday morning, state-run media reported.
All 122 people aboard the plane operated by Tibet Airlines, including 113 passengers, were evacuated and those injured were rushed to hospital for treatment, according to the official Xinhua News Agency.
Video footage was released showing the plane, which was departing Chongqing Jiangbei International Airport for the Tibet Autonomous Region, emitting black smoke. Some passengers received minor injuries, the Chinese media reported.
Learn from listening
- autonomous (adj): independent and having the power to make your own decisions - ซึ่งปกครองตนเอง
- evacuate: to leave a place because it is not safe - อพยพออกจากพื้นที่
- injured (adj): hurt in an accident, natural disaster, attack, etc. - ได้รับบาดเจ็บ
- minor: not important; small; having little influence or effect - เล็กน้อย
- veer (verb): to suddenly move in a different direction - เบน, แฉลบ เสียทิศทาง