Governor orders Phuket to remask
Mandatory wearing of face masks in public areas is back on Phuket, just two days after the restriction was removed.
Governor Narong Woonciew on Friday signed an order rescinding a previous one dated May 31 which allowed people to take off face masks while in open public spaces provided they maintain social distancing of at least 2 metres.
No reason was offered in Friday's announcement as to why the face mask order was rescinded with immediate effect.
Governors act as directors of Covid-19 situation administration centres in their provinces.
In the colour-coded Covid-19 zoning, green zones indicate the situation is stable whereas businesses in blue zones are freer to promote tourism-related activities.
Phuket, one of the blue zones, became the first province to officially allow people to take off face masks until Friday's order.
- governor: a person who is chosen to be in charge of the government of a state or province or a government agency - ผู้ว่าการรัฐ, ผู้ว่าราชการจังหวัด
- mandatory: ordered by a law or rule - ตามข้อบังคับ
- reason: a fact that makes it right or fair to do something; the power of the mind to think in a logical way, to understand and have opinions, etc - ความมีเหตุผล, การใช้เหตุผล
- rescind: to officially state that a law, contract, decision, policy, etc. is no longer valid - ยกเลิก, เพิกถอน
- social distancing: avoiding groups of people in order to slow the spread of a disease -
- stable: firmly fixed; not likely to move, change or fail - มั่นคง