Bangkok hit by heavy rain
Heavy rain pounded Greater Bangkok on Monday evening and left some eastern districts of the capital under knee-deep water.
The Department of Drainage and Sewerage reported at 7.30pm that rain lashed Bangkok, Pathum Thani, Nonthaburi, Nakhon Pathom, Samut Sakhon, Samut Prakan, Chon Buri, Chachoengsao and Nakhon Nayok provinces.
The highest accumulated rainwater measured 111.5 millimetres at the Prawet district office in Bangkok.
The heaviest rain recorded was 80mm per hour in Min Buri district.
Floodwater on streets measured as much as 28 centimetres on Chalerm Prakiat Rama IX Road at Sri Udom intersection in Prawet district.
At about 9pm the Metropolitan Electricity Authority reported blackouts in several areas due to storm-felled trees hitting power cables. Power was cut in parts of Bang Khen, Yannawa and Bang Na districts of Bangkok; Bang Phli district of Samut Prakan; and Bang Yai district of Nonthaburi.
Sukhumvit 71 Road
- accumulate: to get more and more of something over a period of time - เก็บสะสม, สะสม, สั่งสมมานาน
- blackout: a sudden loss of electrical power - ไฟดับ
- cable: thick strong metal rope used on ships, for supporting bridges, etc. - สายเคเบิ้ล, เชือกหรือเหล็กเส้นขนาดใหญ่
- Department of drainage and sewerage: The Bangkok city department in charge of draining rainwater and maintaining the city's sewer system - สำนักการระบายน้ำ
- fell (verb): to cut down a tree; to cause something to fall - โค่น
- lash: to hit with a lot of force - กระทบอย่างแรง
- pound: to hit something hard many times, especially in a way that makes a lot of noise - ตำ