Downpour floods many Bangkok streets
Heavy afternoon rain caused flooding on many streets in Bangkok on Monday evening.
According to the Department of Drainage and Sewerage, about 4.20pm the deepest flood level was 37.9 centimetres on Sena Nikhom Road in Chatuchak district, followed by 34.5cm on Sukhumvit Road at Bang Na intersection in Bang Na district.
Elsewhere floodwater was 32cm deep on the inbound lanes of Chaeng Wattana Road in Laksi district, 30.7cm on Chalerm Phrakiat Rama IX Road at Sri Udom intersection in Prawet district and 29.2cm on Thesaban Songkhro Road in Chatuchak district.
The department also reported 25cm deep flooding on the outbound lanes of Chaeng Wattana Road, 23.4cm on Ratchada-Lat Phrao Road in Chatuchak and 15.2cm on Ngam Wong Wan Road in Laksi district.
Learn from listening
- Department of drainage and sewerage: The Bangkok city department in charge of draining rainwater and maintaining the city's sewer system - สำนักการระบายน้ำ
- downpour: a lot of rain in a short time - ฝนตกหนักมาก, พายุฝน
- elsewhere: another place or other places - ที่อื่น
- inbound: travelling towards a particular point, particularly into a city - ขาเข้า (opposite of outbound ขาออก)
- outbound (adj): travelling towards a particular point, particularly away from a city, country, etc. - ขาออก (opposite of inbound ขาเข้า)