Jabs urged ahead of New Year
Daily recorded Covid-19 cases are expected to rise until the end of the year due in part to increased crowd gatherings, according to the Public Health Ministry.
Dr Opas Karnkawinpong, permanent secretary for public health, said on Monday that the infection rate of new Covid-19 cases increased last week.
"Cases were mainly found in Bangkok, its neighbours, tourism provinces in the East and South," Dr Opas said.
People are encouraged to continue wearing face masks in public spaces and get booster shots if their last vaccination was more than four months ago.
Dr Opas said there were 4,914 cases last week, including 553 people with lung infections and 319 who needed life support. The country is recording about 10 deaths per day on average, he said.
Dr Supakij Sirilak, director-general of the Department of Medical Sciences, said 58% of recent patients were infected by the Omicron BA.2.75 subvariant, which was spreading rapidly.
He emphasised the importance of vaccination.
"Vaccines can save your life. If your latest shot was more than four months ago, please come to get one more to boost immunity against the disease," he said.
"We must urgently increase our immunity levels before the New Year festival to ensure people will be free from infections," he said.
- boost: to increase; to strengthen - เพิ่ม; ทำให้มีกำลังมากขึ้น
- chronic (adj): (of a disease, pain or problem) serious and lasting for a long time - เป็นประจำ
- director-general: the head of a large organisation, especially a public organisation - อธิบดี
- elderly: (of people) old - สูงวัย, อาวุโส, อายุมาก
- gathering: an occasion when many people come together as a group - การรวมตัว, การประชุม
- majority: most of the people in a group, i.e., more than half - เสียงส่วนใหญ่
- on average: calculated by adding several amounts together, finding a total, and dividing the total by the number of amounts - โดยเฉลี่ย
- permanent secretary: a government official, not a political appointee, in charge of a ministry - ปลัดกระทรวง
- senior citizen: someone who is more than 60 years old - ผู้สูงอายุ, ผู้อาวุโส
- urge: to advise someone very strongly about what action or attitude they should take - ผลักดัน, กระตุ้น