B300 tourist fee to take effect in June
published : 11 Jan 2023 at 14:47
writer: Gary Boyle
ORIGINAL SOURCE/WRITER: Reuters
Authorities plan to start collecting a 300-baht fee from foreign tourists arriving in the country beginning in June, according to Tourism and Sports Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn.
The money raised will be used to support visitors involved in accidents and develop tourist destinations, he said.
“Fees won’t be collected from foreigners with work permits and border passes,” said Mr Phiphat, adding that the country expects about 25 million tourist arrivals this year, compared with 11.8 million last year.
The proposal for a tourist fee was first considered last year and is subject to cabinet approval.
Tourism spending is forecast to reach at least 2.38 trillion baht this year, said Mr Phiphat.
In 2019, the country welcomed a record 40 million arrivals, including more than 11 million Chinese.
- border: the official line separating two areas, regions or countries - เขตแดน อาณาเขต
- cabinet: the group of government ministers who make and approve government policy - คณะรัฐมนตรี
- fee: an amount of money that you pay to be allowed to do something - ค่าธรรมเนียม
- forecast (verb): to say what you think will happen in the future based on information that you have now - ทำนาย, ทาย, พยากรณ์
- subject to: depending on; affected by - ขึ้นอยู่กับ มีผลมาจาก
- take effect: to begin to be used or required - ส่งผล
- work permit (noun): the official permission for a foreigner to work in a country - ใบอนุญาตทำงาน