Test Yourself: Digital family
published : 14 May 2017 at 07:46
writer: Itsarin Tisantia
Test Yourself is where you can improve your reading skills. Whether it’s for tests like University Entrance Exams or IELTS and TOEFL, or even just for fun, these pages help you to improve your English. This week's story is about gadgets for children.
Read the following story by Sasiwimon Boonruang from the Bangkok Post. Then, answer the questions that follow.
Pomo House International started crowd funding on Kickstarter.com to offer innovative gadgets for children in January. It raised more than US$120,000 (4.1 million baht) in 30 days.
With his background in software, telecommunications, programing and business development both in Thailand and abroad, Pomo House founder Chatchai Tangchittrong realised many years ago that there weren’t many Thai-made IT products on the global market. This inspired him to create innovative products for children.
THE KIDS ARE ALRIGHT
“It all began when my daughter almost got lost while travelling. It’s important for parents to be able to communicate with their kids. So we gathered together a group of experts to develop software for kids and families. We wanted to create a product to prevent kids from going missing,” said Chatchai.
The Pomo Kids Watch is the company’s first product and is available in three models — Moji, R2 and Waffle.
“We use the latest MTK6261 chip technology, which is most suitable for wearable electronics. It has a 4GB memory and we’re working with our partners to develop additional applications for the Waffle,” said Chatchai.
Some applications are aimed at tightening relationships between parents and their children. One of these, called Scheduler, allows parents to set a timeframe for kids to do daily tasks such as wake up, read or watch TV. This encourages self-motivated responsibility.
Pomo focuses on family, health and security. That’s why the Pomo Kids Watch also has a fitness tracker where parents can set goals for how many steps their kids should take each day. If they achieve their goal, they are offered a reward.
Targeted at children between the ages of six and 11, the Waffle smart watch comes with a multimedia function and personalised features such as colour screen, DIY screen and Take Me Home, which gives directions.
It is perhaps the first GPS smart watch that helps kids understand their responsibilities, express creativity and develop a healthy independence.
Read through the story and answer the following multiple-choice questions.
1. What is Pomo House?
a. A charity.
b. A watch.
c. A tech company.
2. What does Pomo House manufacture and distribute?
b. Wearable electronics.
c. Laptops, PCs and tablets.
3. Which product features a fitness tracker?
a. The Pomo Kids Watch.
b. The MTK 6261 chip.
c. The DIY screen.
4. According to the story, which of the following does the Waffle smart watch feature?
a. A colour screen.
b. An MP3 player.
c. A video camera.
5. According to the story, what does Pomo House NOT focus on?
Read the story and decide whether the following statements are true or false.
6. The Take Me Home application gives directions to users.
7. The Waffle smart watch is targeted at teenagers.
9. Chatchai Tangchittrong started Pomo House.
10. Pomo House didn’t produce any products before the Pomo Kids Watch.
Specify whether each of the following words is used in the story as a verb, noun, adjective or adverb.
Read through the passage. Then, fill in the blanks with the correct words from the choices given.
“We position it …..15….. a kid's watch not an IT product, so we designed it based on the …..16….. of the kids with good-quality, …..17….. and non-toxic silicon materials,” Chatchai said. He added that Pomo Kids Watches were selected to …..18….. at the Consumer Electronics Show …..19….. Las Vegas and the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona this year.
Write down the noun forms of the following words used in the story in the space provided.
12 or fewer: You'll do better next time!
- abroad: in or to a foreign country - ในต่างประเทศ
- application (app): a program designed to do a particular job; a piece of software - โปรแกรมใช้งาน, โปรแกรมคอมพิวเตอร์
- available: that you can get, use, find or buy - มีอยู่, หาได้
- branch out (verb): to start doing something new and different -
- communicate (verb): to send information through television, radio, and telephone signals - สื่อสาร
- creative: involving a lot of imagination and new ideas - ซึ่งมีความคิดริเริ่ม, ซึ่งมีความคิดสร้างสรรค์
- crowdfunding (noun): raising money for a project by asking for money from a large number of people -
- development: the gradual growth of something so that it becomes more advanced, stronger, etc - การพัฒนา
- directions (noun): instructions for for getting to a place or doing something - การบอกทาง, การชี้ทาง, การชี้แนะ
- encourage: to cause someone to want to do something - กระตุ้น ให้การสนับสนุน
- expert: someone who has a particular skill or who knows a lot about a particular subject - ผู้เชี่ยวชาญ
- expertise: a high level of knowledge or skill - ทักษะความรู้, ความคิดเห็นของผู้เชี่ยวชาญ
- feature: to include someone or something as an important part - มีบทบาทสำคัญใน
- field (noun): an area of specialized knowledge that people work, study, teach and do research in - สาขา, วงการ, แวดวง
- focus: to give attention, effort, etc. to one particular subject, situation or person rather than another - เพ่งความสนใจ
- found: to start an organization, company, political party etc - สร้าง, ก่อตั้ง, สถาปนา
- founder (noun): a person who establishes an institution, business, or organisation - ผู้ก่อตั้ง
- function: the job that something is designed to do -
- gadget: a small tool or piece of equipment that does something useful or impressive - อุปกรณ์ขนาดเล็ก, กลไกขนาดเล็ก
- gather (verb): to come/bring together in a group - รวมกลุ่ม, รวมตัวกัน, จับกลุ่มกัน, ชุมนุม
- goal: aim; purpose - เป้าหมาย จุดมุ่งหมาย
- hardware (noun): the equipment, machinery and vehicles used to do something - เครื่องกลไกที่ใช้ปฏิบัติการ
- innovation: the introduction of new things, ideas or ways of doing something; a new idea, way of doing something, etc. that has been introduced or discovered - นวัตกรรม, การคิดขึ้นใหม่, สิ่งที่นำเข้ามาใหม่
- inspire: to give people a particular feeling or a desire to do something - จุดประกาย
- launch: to start selling a new product or service to the public - เริ่มวางขาย
- motivated: done for a particular reason - มีแรงจูงใจ ถูกโน้มน้าวใจ
- on the back of: happening after some event -
- personalise (verb): make something special for one person - ทำให้เป็นส่วนตัว, ทำให้เป็นลักษณะส่วนบุคคล, ทำให้ของบุคคล
- realise (verb): to know about - ตระหนัก รู้
- relationship (noun): the way in which two or more people or things are connected with or involve each other; a connection - ความสัมพันธ์
- responsibility: a duty; a duty to deal with or take care of somebody/something, so that you may be blamed if something goes wrong - ความรับผิดชอบ
- reward: something given in exchange for good behaviour or good work, etc - รางวัล
- security: protection; safety from attack, harm, or damage - ความมั่นคง, ระบบรักษาความปลอดภั, ความปลอดภัย
- start-up (noun): a company that is just beginning to operate - บริษัท เริ่มต้น
- suitable: acceptable or right for someone or something - เหมาะสม
- target: to direct something at someone or something - ตั้งเป้าหมาย
- task: something that you have to do - งาน, หน้าที่; ภารกิจ
- telecommunications: the science and technology of sending information by telephone, radio, or television - โทรคมนาคม
- tighten (verb): to make something tighter, more fixed and secure or stricter - ทำให้แน่น, ทำให้เข้มงวดยิ่งขึ้น, ทำให้แน่นหรือตึงขึ้น, ผูกให้แน่น,
- timeframe (noun): the length of time something is supposed to last; the length of time before something can begin to be used - ในกรอบเวลาที่ระบุำไว้
- tracker (noun): a special type of electronic equipment that can follow the movements of somebody/something; a person who is following someone or something -
- wearable (adj): able to be worn - สามารถที่จะสวมใส่ได้