VIDEO: This Week's Top Stories April 23
published : 23 Apr 2021 at 12:46
writer: Gary Boyle
Thailand's third Covid-19 wave continues
Thailand's third Covid-19 wave continued this week, with more than 1,000 new cases found per day.
The death toll has also risen to 117. Many provinces have introduced travel restrictions.
Seven people in Rayong and Chon Buri had stroke-like symptoms after taking the Sinovac vaccine.
All seven recovered, and the government insisted the vaccine was 'safe'.
Foreigners arriving in Phuket must pay 500 baht for a Covid test.
The test is free for Thais. All visitors must register with the MorChana app.
Thailand will receive two more vaccines - the Russian Sputnik V and American Pfizer.
The government did not say when the vaccines would arrive.
- death toll: the number of people killed - ยอดผู้เสียชีวิต
- register: to put your name and other information on an official list in order to be allowed to do something, e.g., vote, study, stay in a hotel etc - ลงทะเบียน
- restriction: a rule, action or situation that limits or controls someone or something - การจำกัด, การควบคุม
- stroke: a medical condition is which the blood flow is suddenly stopped and cannot reach the brain - อาการเส้นโลหิตในสมองแตกอย่างเฉียบพลัน
- symptom: a sign that someone has an illness - อาการ
- vaccine: a substance which contains a form that is not harmful of a virus and which is given to a person or animal to prevent them from getting the disease which the virus causes - วัคซีน