VIDEO: This Week's Top Stories May 14
published : 14 May 2021 at 13:51
writer: Gary Boyle
Record infections, new clusters, slow vaccinations and new police uniforms
Thailand saw a record daily number of Covid-19 infections, with 4,887 cases reported on Thursday.
The total included 2,835 infections in Bangkok prisons. The jail infections were revealed by democracy activist Panusaya Sithijirawattanakul a day earlier.
The Indian variant of Covid-19 has arrived in Thailand, via a Thai woman arriving from Pakistan.
And Chanthaburi saw a cluster of 109 infected African gem traders.
The vaccination drive, however, is progressing slowly.
Mass vaccination is now expected to begin in June, with foreigners being told to wait until August.
The Thai police were testing a new uniform this week.
A university professor said that "Changing the uniform will be useless if the officers fail to improve their behaviour."
- activist: someone who takes part in activities that are intended to achieve political or social change, especially someone who is a member of an organisation - นักกิจกรรม
- behaviour: the way that someone acts or behaves - พฤติกรรม, การกระทำตัว
- cluster: group of people, animals or things close together - กลุ่ม
- democracy (noun): a system of government in which all the people of a country can vote to elect their representatives - การปกครองแบบประชาธิปไตย
- drive: a planned effort to achieve something - การผลักดัน,ความพยายาม
- gem: a jewel (= precious stone), especially when cut into a particular regular shape - อัญมณี, เพชรพลอย
- jail (noun): a prison - เรือนจำ, ห้องขัง, คุก
- mass: large amounts or numbers - ปริมาณมาก จำนวนมาก
- prison: a place where criminals are put to stay for a period of time as punishment for a crime - คุก, ,เรือนจำ
- record: the best or most ever achieved - สถิติ
- useless (adj): not useful; not doing or achieving what is needed or wanted - ซึ่งไม่มีประโยชน์, ซึ่งเปล่าประโยชน์
- vaccination (noun): giving someone a vaccine, usually by injection to prevent them from getting a disease - การฉีดวัคซีน
- variant: a thing that is a slightly different form or type of something else - สิ่งที่ผันแปร, สิ่งที่แตกต่างกัน