VIDEO: This Week's Top Stories June 25
published : 25 Jun 2021 at 12:24
writer: Gary Boyle
This week: gunman caught, jab controversy, Phuket dreams and variant concerns
A former soldier was arrested after allegedly shooting dead two people this week.
A convenience store worker and a patient in a Covid-19 field hospital were shot dead before the gunman went on the run.
The Interior Ministry insisted that approval to provide free Covid-19 vaccine doses to over 70,000 Thai Beverage Public Company Limited employees and their families was lawful.
A ministry letter addressed to governors asking for jabs for the company, which makes Chang Beer, went viral on the internet.
Airports of Thailand said the July launch of the tourism sandbox programme in Phuket may not attract as many tourists as the government had expected.
International traffic is expected to pick up in October, they said, which is considered the start of tourism’s high season in Thailand.
The Public Health Ministry is speeding up a study looking into the need for a third Covid-19 vaccine shot.
Concerns are mounting over the rapidly spreading Delta variant of the disease, and the efficacy of the vaccines against it.
- allegedly: claimed to have done something wrong, but not yet proven - ที่กล่าวหา
- approval: official permission - การอนุมัต
- efficacy (noun): the ability of something to produce the results that are wanted ความมี - ประสิทธิภาพ, ความสามารถ, สมรรถภาพ
- expect (verb): to think or believe that something will happen or that somebody will do something - คาด, คาดว่า, คาดการณ์
- field hospital (noun): a temporary hospital, e.g. near a battlefield, a natural disaster, etc. -
- former: of or in an earlier time; before the present time or in the past - อดีต, แต่ก่อน
- lawful: not against the law; officially accepted by the government or another authority - ซึ่งถูกต้องตามกฎหมาย
- mounting: increasing - เพิ่มขึ้น
- pick up (verb): start to increase or get stronger - เพิ่ม, เริ่มเพิ่มขึ้น
- shot: putting a liquid, especially a drug, into a person's body using a needle and a syringe; an injection - การฉีดยา
- variant: a thing that is a slightly different form or type of something else - สิ่งที่ผันแปร, สิ่งที่แตกต่างกัน