VIDEO: This Week's Top Stories July 30
published : 30 Jul 2021 at 12:11
writer: Gary Boyle
This week: Olympic gold!
Panipak Wongpattanakit won Thailand’s first gold medal in the Tokyo Olympics, in the women's taekwondo 49kg category.
Panipak, 23, won the bronze medal in the Olympics in Rio De Janeiro five years ago.
Thirty-eight Thais and 40 foreigners were arrested during raids on two shops in Pattaya.
Police who raided the Fat Boy Bar & Grill and the Bamboo bar found customers drinking alcohol, violating a ban on gatherings.
A woman dumped her 80-year-old father at a temple in Nakhon Ratchasima before driving away.
The man then left the temple and was found lying on a nearby trail. Local health workers took him for a Covid-19 test, which was positive.
The United States has donated 1.5 million doses of the Pfizer vaccine to Thailand.
A further one million doses are promised, as well as 415,000 doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine donated by the United Kingdom.
Join us for a live English class on Facebook every Tuesday at 4.30pm. Check out the Learning Facebook page for more information.
- bronze: a dark reddish-brown metal made by mixing copper and tin - ทองสัมฤทธ์, ทองแดง
- donate: to give something such as money or goods to an organisation, especially to a temple, charity, school, political party, etc. - บริจาค
- dump: to abandon; to stop doing an activity before you have finished it - เลิก
- gathering: a party or a meeting when many people come together as a group - การรวมตัว, การประชุม
- medal: a flat piece of metal, usually shaped like a coin, that is given to the winner of a competition or to somebody who has been brave, for example in war - เหรียญรางวัล
- raid (noun): a short (surprise) attack on an enemy or group - การจู่โจม,การโจมตี, การบุกเข้า
- raid: to use force to enter a place suddenly in order to arrest people or search for something such as illegal weapons or drugs - บุกเข้าจับ, เข้าตรวจค้น
- trail: a path through the countryside, often made or used for a particular purpose - ร่องรอย
- violate: to do something that is against a law, rule or agreement - ฝ่าฝืน, ละเมิด