VIDEO: This Week's Top Stories September 3
published : 3 Sep 2021 at 13:01
writer: Gary Boyle
This week: Phuket crisis, dining in, jellyfish warning and airport woes
A surge in new coronavirus infections on Phuket is at a "crisis" level, the governor said on Wednesday.
Wednesday saw 258 new cases in the province, despite 70% of its population having been inoculated against Covid-19.
People in dark-red zones will not need to be fully vaccinated or pass a Covid-19 test to dine in at restaurants.
Malls and restaurants could reopen this week, and some domestic flights resumed.
A nine-year-old Israeli boy died after being stung by a box jellyfish in the sea off Koh Phangan island.
Some areas of the sea are surrounded by netting to protect swimmers. Bottles of vinegar also have been provided to treat jellyfish stings.
Suvarnabhumi International Airport's ranking has plunged in the past 10 years from 13th to 66th, according to a survey.
The airport has faced problems of overcrowded terminals and air traffic congestion.
Join us for a live English class on Facebook every Tuesday at 4.30pm. Check out the Learning Facebook page for more information.
- congestion: a situation in which a place is crowded with people or vehicles - แน่นขนัดไปด้วยรถหรือคน
- crisis: a situation that has reached and extremely difficult or dangerous point - ช่วงวิกฤต
- despite (prep): used to show that something happened or is true although something else might have happened to prevent it; used to show that somebody did not intend to do the thing mentioned - ถึงอย่างไรก็ตาม, ทั้ง ๆ ที่
- domestic: inside the country being talked about - ภายในประเทศ
- inoculate: to treat a person or animal with a vaccine to produce immunity against a disease -
- jellyfish (noun): a sea creature with a body like jelly and long thin parts called tentacles that can give a sharp sting - แมงกะพรุน
- netting (noun): material that is made of string, thread or wire twisted or tied together, with spaces in between - สิ่งทอเป็นร่างแหชนิดต่าง ๆ
- plunge: to fall quickly from a high position - ดิ่งลงมาจากท้องฟ้า
- ranking: the position of somebody/something on a scale that shows how good or important they are in relation to other similar people or things, especially in sport - อันดับ
- resume: to begin again after stopping for a period of time - เริ่มอีกครั้ง, กลับมาอีกครั้ง
- stung (verb): (past form of sting) made to feel angry or upset - ทำให้เจ็บปวด, ทำให้ระคายเคือง, ทำให้ปวดแสบ
- surge: a sudden increase in something - การเพิ่มขึ้นอย่างรวดเร็ว
- terminal: a large building where passengers arrive and leave - อาคารผู้โดยสาร
- vinegar (noun): a sour liquid used in cooking - น้ำส้มสายชู มีรสเปรี้ยว