VIDEO: This Week's Top Stories September 10
published : 10 Sep 2021 at 11:20
writer: Gary Boyle
This week: reopening dreams, monks in trouble, Thamanat sacked and Nong Gina found
The Tourism and Sports Ministry wants to open the whole country to tourists without quarantine by January next year.
The plan needs Thailand to achieve herd immunity within this year.
Bangkok is due to open up to tourists in November, following the October reopenings of Chiang Mai, Hua Hin and Pattaya.
Two monks were in trouble over their live-streaming session of political messages and laughter.
The talk show, where they used teenage slang, was a hit, but Buddhist authorities did not find it amusing.
Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has sacked Deputy Agriculture Minister Thamanat Prompow.
The sacking is said to be linked to last week's failed plan to replace Prayut.
A young girl missing since Sunday from her home in a village in Chiang Mai province was found safe.
Nong Gina was found near a cave. A man said he left her outside the cave as a sacrifice to forest and mountain spirits.
Join us for a live English class on Facebook every Tuesday at 4.30pm. Check out the Learning Facebook page for more information.
- amusing: funny or entertaining - ขบขัน
- cave: a large hole in the side of a hill or under the ground - ถ้ำ
- herd immunity: when most of a population is immune to an infectious disease -
- laughter (noun): the act or sound of laughing - การหัวเราะ
- live-stream (noun): broadcasting or receiving live video and sound of an event over the Internet -
- quarantine (noun): a situation in which a person or animal that might have a disease is kept separate from other people or animals so that they do not catch the disease - การกักบริเวณ, การจำกัดบริเวณ
- replace: to get rid of someone or something and to put a new person or thing in their place - หาคนมาแทน
- sack: to remove someone from a job; to fire - ปลดออกจากตำแหน่ง
- sacrifice: the act of offering something to a god - การบวงสรวง,การบูชายัญ, การสังเวย
- slang: informal language used by people when speaking to each other - ภาษาสแลง, ถ้อยคำที่เป็นภาษาพูดและใช้ในกลุ่มคนบางกลุ่ม, ภาษารหัสของขโมยหรือโจร, คำสแลง
- spirit (noun): the soul thought of as separate from the body and believed to live on after death; a ghost - วิญญาณ