VIDEO: This Week's Top Stories September 24
published : 24 Sep 2021 at 11:58
writer: Gary Boyle
This week: November reopening, sex couple arrested, UK visa delays and 1M Pfizer doses still in the US
Bangkok could reopen by Nov 1 if double-dose vaccinations cover at least 70% of the capital's population before this month ends.
As of last Monday, only 42% of Bangkok's 7 million residents have been double-jabbed, according to the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration.
A young couple were arrested at a hotel in Samut Prakan on Monday night for streaming their sexual activities online.
The 19-year-old woman, known as Kai Nao, and her 20-year-old boyfriend shared their sexual exploits online via the OnlyFans website.
Some Thai students have experienced slow visa approvals after the United Kingdom placed Thailand on a Covid-19 restriction travel list, their parents say.
Visas can take up to a month to be issued, unless you pay a large fee to speed up the process.
The United States blames Thailand for the delayed delivery of one million more Pfizer doses.
Thai-born US senator Tammy Duckworth was reported as saying that as Thailand has not completed its paperwork, the vaccines cannot be sent.
Join us for a free English class, streaming online every Tuesday at 4.30pm.
Check the Learning Facebook page for more details.
- approval: official permission - การอนุมัต
- arrested: caught by the police and taken to a police station because you are believed to have committed a crime - ถูกจับกุม
- blame: responsibility for doing something badly or wrongly; saying that somebody is responsible for something - การรับผิดชอบต่อสิ่งไม่ดีที่เกิดขึ้น
- delayed: happening at a later time than expected - เกิดขึ้นช้ากว่าปกติ
- double: to become twice as big, twice as much or twice as many - เพิ่มเป็นสองเท่า
- exploit: a brave, exciting or interesting act - การกระทำที่กล้าหาญ
- population: a particular group of people or animals living in a particular area - กลุ่มที่อาศัยอยู่ในที่เดียวกัน
- process: a series of actions that you take in order to achieve a result - แนวทางปฏิบัติ, กระบวน, วิธีการ
- resident: a person who lives in a particular area - ผู้ที่อาศัยในท้องที่
- restriction: a rule, action or situation that limits or controls someone or something - การจำกัด, การควบคุม
- senator: a member of the Senate - วุฒิสมาชิก
- streaming: playing a video continuously from the start rather than needing to wait until the whole of the material has been downloaded -
- visa: an official document or mark in your passport that allows you to enter or leave a country for a specific purpose or period of time - วีซ่า, เอกสารอนุมัติที่ประทับตราบนหนังสือเดินทาง