VIDEO: This Week's Top Stories October 1
published : 1 Oct 2021 at 11:59
writer: Gary Boyle
This week: re-openings, flooding, pink dolphins and Pfizer
More businesses will be allowed to reopen from today in dark-red zones.
Beauty salons, spas, museums and cinemas can reopen and the curfew is shortened to 10pm to 4am.
People in Bangkok, Nonthaburi and Pathum Thani have been told to brace for possible flooding ahead of water discharge from the Chao Phraya Dam in Chai Nat before more heavy rain.
Thirty provinces saw flooding this week, with Chaiyaphum seeing its worst flooding in 50 years.
Six people died in the floods - five in Lop Buri and one in Phetchabun.
A pod of pink dolphins was seen in the sea off Samila beach in Songkhla.
A paddleboarder posted pictures and a video of them on Facebook.
Two million doses of government-purchased Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine landed in Thailand on Wednesday.
The vaccines are part of 30 million doses to be delivered by the end of this year.
Join us for a free English class, streaming online every Tuesday at 4.30pm.
Check the Learning Facebook page for more details.
- brace for (verb): to get ready for something, usually something unpleasant or difficult to deal with - เตรียมรับมือ
- curfew: a law that does not allow people to go outside between a particular time in the evening and a particular time in the morning - กฎอัยการศึก คือห้ามออกนอกบ้านในยามวิกาล
- discharge: a liquid that is released - น้ำที่ปล่อยออก, น้ำที่ขับออก
- dolphin: a large sea animal, similar to a fish, with a long nose - ปลาโลมา
- dose: an amount of drug that has been measured so that you can take it - ปริมาณยาที่ให้ต่อครั้ง
- museum: a building where objects of historical, scientific or artistic interest are kept - พิพิธภัณฑ์
- paddleboard: a long board used for surfing or rescuing swimmers -
- pod: a small group of sea animals, such as dolphins or whales, swimming together - ฝูงสัตว์น้ำ (ที่เลี้ยงลูกด้วยนม)
- purchase: something that has been bought - ของที่ซื้อมา
- salon: beauty salon - ร้านเสริมสวย