VIDEO: This Week's Top Stories November 26
published : 26 Nov 2021 at 11:48
writer: Gary Boyle
This week: school Covid, flag fuss, aviation layoffs and rescued Thais.
Suankularb Wittayalai School in Bangkok went back to online study this week after one student tested positive for Covid-19.
His classmates all tested negative, but were placed in quarantine for seven days.
A complaint was filed against Miss Universe Thailand Anchilee Scott-Kemmis for standing on what looks like a Thai flag in an online picture.
The picture was part of a promotional campaign before the 70th Miss Universe pageant in Israel.
Thai AirAsia (TAA) has announced mass layoffs, despite the country's reopening on Nov 1.
TAA announced on Monday that its fleet size would be cut from 60 to 54.
Cambodian police rescued 99 Thai workers tricked and forced into working illegally in Phnom Penh.
They were held in a building by a Chinese gang.
Join us for a free English class, streaming online every Tuesday at 8pm.
Check the Learning Facebook page for more details.
- campaign: a planned series of activities - การรณรงค์
- complaint: when someone says that something is wrong or not satisfactory - การร้องเรียน
- flag (noun): a piece of cloth with a special coloured design on it that may be the symbol of a particular country or organization, or may have a particular meaning. A flag can be attached to a pole or held in the hand - ธง
- fleet: a group of vehicles, planes, boats, or trains, especially when they are owned by one organisation or person - กลุ่มรถแท๊กซี่, รถโดยสาร, หรือเครื่องบินที่อยู่ในบริษัทเดียวกัน
- force (verb): to make someone do something that they don't want to do - บังคับ
- gang (noun): a group of criminals who work together; a group of young people who spend time together causing trouble - แก๊ง, กลุ่มโจร
- layoffs: job cuts - การปลดคนงาน
- mass: a large amount of something - ปริมาณมาก
- pageant: a competition to choose the most beautiful from a group of women - ประกวดนางงาม
- positive (adj): showing clear evidence that a particular substance or medical condition is present มีประจุบวก (การทดสอบ) - มีประจุบวก (การทดสอบ)
- quarantine (noun): a situation in which a person or animal that might have a disease is kept separate from other people or animals so that they do not catch the disease - การกักบริเวณ, การจำกัดบริเวณ
- rescue: to save a person or animal from a dangerous or unpleasant situation - ช่วยชีวิต
- trick (verb): to make somebody believe something which is not true, especially in order to cheat them; to do something clever to fool someone - หลอกลวง