VIDEO: This Week's Top Stories December 3
published : 3 Dec 2021 at 12:23
writer: Gary Boyle
This week: no lockdown, no bar reopening, 'Boss' mystery and a street shooting.
The government will not impose a lockdown despite concerns about the Omicron variant of Covid-19.
However, the government might also further delay the reopening of pubs, bars and karaoke shops as it believes they pose a high Covid risk.
In Pattaya, bars have urged the government to ease Covid rules to allow them to sell alcoholic drinks ahead of the New Year Festival.
Over 80% of the population has been vaccinated and the rate of infections and Covid-19 clusters has dropped significantly, a Pattaya business leader said.
Red Bull scion Vorayuth "Boss" Yoovidhya, wanted for a hit-and-run case from 2012, is believed to be in Austria.
Police, however, claimed to still not know his whereabouts.
A government worker has surrendered to police to face a charge of murdering a passenger in his mother's car, who was chased and shot dead in Kanchanaburi.
The victim was shot 10 times in the head and body with a 9mm pistol, police said.
Join us for a free English class, streaming online every Tuesday at 8pm.
Check the Learning Facebook page for more details.
- cluster: group of people, animals or things close together - กลุ่ม
- concern: a worry - ความกังวล
- delay (verb): to do something later than is planned or expected; to cause something to happen at a later time - เลื่อน, เลื่อนเวลา
- despite (prep): used to show that something happened or is true although something else might have happened to prevent it; used to show that somebody did not intend to do the thing mentioned - ถึงอย่างไรก็ตาม, ทั้ง ๆ ที่
- ease: to make a problem, situation or pain less severe or serious - บรรเทา
- hit-and-run: (of a road accident) caused by a driver who does not stop to help - ที่ชนแล้วหนี
- impose: to force someone to accept something - กำหนด,บังคับ
- pistol: a small gun that you hold in one hand - ปืนพก,ปืนสั้น
- risk: the possibility that something dangerous or unpleasant might happen - ความเสี่ยง
- scion (noun): a young member of a family, especially a famous or important one - ทายาท
- significantly: in an important way - อย่างมีความหมาย, อย่างสำคัญ
- surrender: to give yourself up - ยอมจำนน
- urge: to advise someone very strongly about what action or attitude they should take - ผลักดัน, กระตุ้น
- variant: a thing that is a slightly different form or type of something else - สิ่งที่ผันแปร, สิ่งที่แตกต่างกัน
- whereabouts: where someone is - ที่อยู่,สถานที่,ตำแหน่งที่