VIDEO: This Week's Top Stories July 1
published : 1 Jul 2022 at 11:50
writer: Gary Boyle
This week: mask rule end, Singapore TB, post-pandemic era and OnlyFans sex couple surrender
Mask mandate ends
The use of face masks is now voluntary, but recommended, the government said.
The government lifted its face mask mandate but advised vulnerable and infected people to still use masks for the sake of personal and public health.
The Public Health Ministry advised people to continue to wear masks in crowded or poorly ventilated places, while those exercising or social distancing can go without.
Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha expressed his satisfaction over news that most Thais are still voluntarily wearing masks despite the mandate being lifted.
Singapore TB cluster
Singapore has imposed mandatory screening for tuberculosis in an apartment block after about 170 people tested positive for the infectious disease.
Stallholders, shop owners and employees within the complex will also be tested. An earlier voluntary round of screening saw about 30% of 574 residents and workers testing positive.
The health ministry said tuberculosis is endemic in Singapore.
Post-pandemic phase announcement
The Public Health Ministry is ready to usher in the post-pandemic era today.
The ministry expects only small to medium Covid clusters moving forward, but will stop short of declaring Covid-19 an endemic disease.
It will wait for the World Health Organization to announce the downgrade first.
A leading doctor called on the ministry to postpone its announcement as all hospitals in Bangkok are now seeing a spike in Covid-19 cases.
Sex pair surrender
A couple featured in three viral sex videos shared on the OnlyFans social media platform have turned themselves in to police.
The pair admitted to recording themselves having sex in a room at a resort in Nakhon Ratchasima, without the knowledge of the resort owner.
Police have charged them with putting indecent videos into a computer system via websites in exchange for membership fees, and producing and distributing pornography.
- admitted (verb): agreed that something is true, especially when you are unhappy, sorry or surprised about it - ยอมรับ
- despite (prep): used to show that something happened or is true although something else might have happened to prevent it; used to show that somebody did not intend to do the thing mentioned - ถึงอย่างไรก็ตาม, ทั้ง ๆ ที่
- downgrade: to reduce someone or something to a lower rank or position, to reduce the strength of something - ลดความสำคัญ, ลดความรุนแรง
- endemic: regularly found in a particular place or among a particular group of people and difficult to get rid of - ประจำท้องถิ่น
- indecent: thought to be morally offensive, especially because it involves sex or being naked - หยาบคาย, ที่ไม่เหมาะสม
- mandate: an official order to do something - คำสั่ง
- mandatory: ordered by a law or rule - ตามข้อบังคับ
- satisfaction (noun): a feeling that you are pleased and satisfied - ความพอใจ
- spike: a sudden increase - การพุ่งพรวดขึ้น
- surrender: giving yourself up - การยอมจำนน
- tuberculosis: a serious disease which is infectious and can attack many parts of a person's body, especially their lungs - วัณโรค
- usher in: to be at the start of a new period, especially when important changes or new things happen, or to cause important changes to start happening - เริ่มต้น, นำเข้ามา
- ventilate: to allow fresh air to enter and move around a room, building, etc. -
- voluntary: an action that is done because you choose to do it and not because you have to - ด้วยความสมัครใจ
- vulnerable: easily damaged or harmed - ซึ่งถูกทำลายได้ง่าย