VIDEO: This Week's Top Stories October 7
published : 7 Oct 2022 at 10:48
writer: Gary Boyle
This week: mass murder, child driver BMW crash and widespread flooding
Shocking and tragic scenes yesterday as a former policeman attacked staff and children in a childcare centre in the Northeast, killing 37 before going on the run and finally killing himself.
Twenty-four of the victims were children.
Ex-police corporal Panya Khamrab forced his way into the nursery in Nong Bua Lamphu armed with a gun and a knife.
After the rampage he fled, driving to his home where he killed his wife, 3-year-old son and himself.
The gunman was expelled from the police in June for drug possession and had appeared in court earlier on Thursday.
According to the gunman's mother, he appeared stressed and then took some drugs before heading to the childcare centre.
The attack is the deadliest mass slaying carried out in the country by a lone perpetrator.
Child driver in fatal red light crash
A newly-graduated student engineer was killed in Nakhon Ratchasima when his motorcycle was hit by a speeding BMW that ran a red light.
The driver of the car was a 15-year-old boy.
Thanaphol Kaewmoon, 24, died at the scene.
The boy, whose name was withheld because of his age, confessed to charges of reckless driving causing death, ignoring a red light and driving without a licence.
Weather woes continued across the country as rains caused flooding in many provinces.
Chiang Mai's Ping River burst its banks early in the week, flooding the downtown area.
Floodwaters on some Bangkok roads reached nearly 40 centimetres deep following an evening downpour.
In all, 19 provinces in the North, the Northeast and the Central Plains experienced flooding, affecting some 2,800 villages.
- burst its banks (of a river): to flood; to have water go over the sides - ล้นตลิ่ง
- childcare (noun): a service for looking after children while their parents work - บริการดูแลเด็ก
- downpour: a lot of rain in a short time - ฝนตกหนักมาก, พายุฝน
- expelled: to force someone to leave a school, organisation or country (the noun form is expulsion) - ขับไล่,ไล่ออก
- ignore: to fail to pay attention to; to pretend that you have not noticed or do not know about something - เพิกเฉย
- licence: an official document that gives someone permission to do or use something - ใบอนุญาต
- perpetrator: someone who has committed a crime, or a violent or harmful act - ผู้ก่อการ
- rampage (noun): a sudden period of wild and violent behaviour, often causing damage and destruction - การอาละวาด,ความวุ่นวาย,ความโมโห,การวิ่งพล่าน
- reckless: not thinking about the possible bad effects of your actions - สะเพร่า
- slaying: a killing; a murder - การสังหาร, ฆาตกรรม
- stressed: affected by pressure, worry, etc. - วิตกกังวล
- tragic: causing or involving great sadness, because someone suffers or dies - น่าสลดใจ
- victims : people who are killed injured or harmed in some way from an accident, natural disaster, crime, etc. - เหยื่อผู้เคราะห์ร้าย
- withheld (verb): to deliberately not give something to someone - ไม่เปิดเผย, ไม่อนุญาต, ระงับ, ถอนกลับ
- woes: great problems or troubles - ความเสียใจ, ความทุกข์ร้อน